1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shipping guns to California

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by $$$SHTR, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

We shipped a shotgun to California thru the Post Office within a month ago and it was no hassle at all. We shipped to a FFL, with a copy of drivers license as picture ID. The hassle is on the person in California to go thru the state hoops. I guess there is a 10 day waiting period plus other cr&p. I sure wouldn't not sell to California, just call the California FFL and find out the rules.

Tomas

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Go to the website above for all you need to know!

AndyH ;-)

3. randy-s

randy-s Member

Your buyers FFL is incorrect. You are correct. A private party can ship a long gun to a FFL in California. Nothing needs to be done unless the gun comes from a FFL on your end. Even then it is a simple proceedure. I would love to dispell the mountains misinformation regarding shipping long guns to California. So many sellers here and on several other sites have not a clue. Please look at the above web site or call the Cal DOJ and talk to Sally. Hopefully this bad information will go away soon. Randy Shelton 530 409 0655

4. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I live in CA and even I think it's a load of crap.

5. randy-s

randy-s Member

ysr racer, it sure is a load of crap! It is far easier to buy a long gun from a non resident than it is for you and I to do business. Should we want to do a deal both being California residents we must both physically go to the same FFL. That's great but what if you are in San Diego and I am in Sacramento. One of us would need to make the trip twice, once for paperwork then once to pick the gun up after the 10 day waiting period. What a deal! Randy Shelton

6. Mike-n-CA

Mike-n-CA Member

I've purchased three guns from out of state private partie sellers, had no problems and my FFL had no problems. He contacted the seller, got some info, had them send him the gun with a copy of their driver's license, I went in, signed some papers, had the State (CA) make sure I wasn't a felon or had a domestic violence problem and 10 days later picked up my gun. I also sold a gun to someone in California and the procedure was even easier, went in once, signed papers and gave the gun to the FFL to deliver to the buyer after his backround was checked out. I don't understand why people don't want to sell and ship guns to California residents, seems like the sellers are eliminating a large group of buyers in this tight economy. Maybe it's the FFL, mine's a good, reasonably priced, knowledgeable person.
    Mike

7. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Any California FFL who does not / will not receive a legal long gun from an out-of-state individual for transfer is NOT helping the shooters in this state! He can charge a fee for this service and make a few bucks for very little work. I know a couple of CA FFLs that won't process firearms from out-of-state individuals and have told them they have lost my business.

The CFLC (CA Firearms Licensee Check) Program was established to ensure the dealers involved in a transaction were, in fact, currently authorized. There have been many attempts at forging and mis-using FFL licenses, and this program supposedly eliminates that. Pain-In-The-Ass, yes, but also somewhat effective. JMHO!

AndyH ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.