1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping guns to CA???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chiefjon, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Without having to endure the never ending stream of complaints about gun ownership in CA (most of which I agree with), I would like to ask a question about the position taken by many gun dealers...will not ship to CA. Why is that? I have bought many guns, sent the FFL to the seller and had the gun sent to my dealer. How does that impact the seller. It is a pain in the butt for me...one day I am a working police chief, I write myself a letter and go down and pick the gun up...the next day I am back to being retired and I have to wait 10 days to pick the gun up...how does any of that impact the seller who ships the gun. I am looking to purchase a couple of guns and the best deal I can get is from a dealer who flat out refuses to ship to CA...Maybe some of you can enlighten me.

Thanks for your feedback.

JON

2. front242

front242 Member

Jon,

I think it's a combination of hype, laziness, and ignorance of the law. I'm sure there have been instances of people buying a non-california approved HANDGUN on the internet, shipping to a CA FFL and then having the gun be refused by the receiving FFL because it's not California legal. Word gets out about this and the word of mouth game does it's job. What starts as a list of non CA approved handguns, AR's, and AK's becomes all guns. Soon you have people thinking you can't sell or ship a long gun or shotgun to anyone in CA because it's just not worth the hassle. Surprise! There is NO hassle. As you well know, The only thing that needs to be done is check the CA approved list before a buyer or seller jumps into anything. Instead, sellers, just decide to bypass the whole "hassle" and decide not to sell to CA residents.

Tim
    F242

3. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

Jon...

When you figure it out fill me in. I don't understand it...

BTW I have a few trap guns 4-sale...

Matt

4. sadlot386

sadlot386 TS Member

Jon

I too wonder what they are thinking - probably should take the time and educate themselves. Each time they tell a CA resident "no I don't ship to CA" they miss a good opportunity to sell a gun; which for some translates to profit and goodwill. It only takes them the time to pack and ship the gun to an FFL dealer in our state - CA. How simple can it be. As you might guess I have been unable to purchase a gun, I wanted, because of their reluctance.

A disappointed shooter and occasional gun buyer.

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The only "hassle" for an out of state FFL holder is, he needs a CA DOJ number for his FFL. A simple letter to CA DOJ will get it, I have not heard of any rejection yet.

Unless they changed it recently, invedule (non-FFL) sellers can ship to CA without such a DOJ number.

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Other states are not much better. Just shipped a Glock to Maine. They would only receive it from another FFL in California. FFL in CA. shipped to Maine FFL via FAX for #. Most CA. FFL's will not receive a gun unless it is from an FFL. A pain in the A-- for us, but not for the gun smugglers into Mexico. Fred

7. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

I am a dealer in CA. Every legal dealer has a California Firearms Dealer number or CFD. The out-of-state dealer obtains this number from the receiving dealer, then goes to the California DOJ website and follows the directions on obtaining a Firearms Shipment Approval letter. If the CA dealer is receiving a gun from a private party, there is no letter required.
    California is the largest gun market in the Untied States. If you do not want to sell to anyone is California you are missing a huge market.
    Fred Wiedemann

8. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I wholeheartedly agree with NAPAWINO on this one! California is a HUGE market! Just because our ignorant politicians don't want guns here, doesn't mean WE, the gun owners, don't want guns here!

AndyH ;-)

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have never had a minutes' problem selling a gun to a CA resident.

10. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Who says we don't?

AndyH ;-)

11. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

why cant a seller ship a gun in several packages as "parts"? and go direct to the buyer? in CA. or any other state?

12. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

From what I understand it is the pain of having to get the letter. They may now have an online system, but before you had to send a letter to the Attorney General and wait for permission to send the firearm to CA. Just a pain in the a** to get it done.

Wasted time and effort for no extra money. By the way why haven't you left coast folks voted out the politicians who are causing you the problems. Seems it may be the fault of the folks who live there.

13. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

221- wud that be minimum or maximum- and do they have a trap team?

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

It,s just Simpler to exclude California then deal with the laws and BS .

15. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've sold a number of guns to Calif. residents and it's a couple of clicks on the computer to get the approval and it's instantaneous. No waiting at all. The Calif dealer sends/faxes his FFl and includes his DOJ number. You get on the system with your FFL( only one time) and then you input the DOJ number in and print out your approval letter for your file--maybe 45 seconds total. It's a very simple process and the Cal. guys do buy lots of guns!!

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

NAPAWINO and BOOMER are dead on.

Early on, I received a letter from the CA DOJ indicating that if I wanted to ship a gun into CA, I first had to obtain/submit the proper paperwork and then I could only ship to a CA DOJ approved FFL dealer. I did the paperwork, and now, it is not any kind of a problem to ship into CA. I just have to check with the DOJ that the receiving dealer is on their approved list.

What was funny is that CA could consider me a felon had I shipped something to a CA FFL dealer without the required paperwork. I wondered if they'd come to SD and get me! Ha!

I have shipped on several occasions without any kinds of problems. Well, the only problem I hear about is the large fees that the CA FFL's are charging their customers to receive my shipments. Like maybe $75-$100 to accept and $25 to do the CA DOJ check.

I will gladly ship to trapshooters in CA. If all of us balk at doing this, then we are only penalizing the shooters, and acquiescing to the normal anti-gunners.

Whiz (formerly of Mtn View, CA)

17. Cray

Cray Member

Have a Buffalo Bills football player take it for you. He'll get off easy, if he does anything wrong! Cray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cfd sending guns to california