1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping Guns...Just Checking?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin77, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

The few times I have purchased a gun from an individual, not a dealer, I have always sent the individual a copy of my dealers ffl for him to send the gun to. Does the individual seller have to send a copy of his dealers ffl along with the gun? Thanks WC

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Nope, just a photocopy of their drivers liscense and telephone number. The shipper only provides a signed ffl if they are a ffl.

ss

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Except for California, as far as I know, only the receiving end has to be an FFL holder.

Why would an individual selling to an FFL need to go find a license somewhere?

HM

4. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

California is in there own world when it comes to this subject.

5. k newman

k newman TS Member

a lot of FFL holders won't accept guns from individuals nowadays because they can't ship it directly back if they need to - -say someone inspects it and is not satisfied, or it's not as described.

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

K newman Think about it . Your FFL gets a gun in and it,s not as described .

Your FFL just sends it back to the shipper (owner) It,s still his gun and will be untill the paper work is done . Any FFL can send a gun back to THE OWNER . Remember it,s not yours untill the paper is done .

7. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Another reason some dealers want a FFL with an incoming gun is way too many bogus drivers licenses floating around nowadays. Not good when a stolen gun gets traced back to you by the ATF and you can't verify the copy of the drivers license you have on file.

8. k newman

k newman TS Member

alf-99 - you're right. I've been listening to what I've been told too many times. I think the folks telling me this aren't thinking logical - thanks

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Just pack it right ans send it to the FFL and for who it is for. Quit complicating the issue.

10. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

DOLPHIN 77 you can ship a gun to an ffl without an ffl. some ups and fed ex stores don't even know that.rember if is a pistol it must go overnight express.

11. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

if you pack it and it is damaged they will not pay. they lust say it was not packed right

12. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I think FFl's have the right to require whatever they deem necessary,if you don't agree don't use them but check with them and the party your doing business with first it saves a lot of hassle and hard feelings.My FFL will accept guns from private individuals,after having some issues in the past I always make it clear upfront and ask if the other parties if their FFL will do the same.In the event the gun was unacceptable the gun can be returned to the owner by the FFL.Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.