1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping gun to California ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by valley1, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valley1

valley1 TS Member

When selling a shotgun to buyer in California if buyer sends a copy of FFL do i need anything else to ship this gun?
    Thank you
    Val

2. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

nope, just put a copy of your DL into the box and take it to USPS or UPS and ship to the FFL

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Based on BATF (Federal), and CA DOJ (State) regulations, an out of state individual (non-FFL) can ship directly to a CA FFL.

If you have any questions, check CA DOJ web site for details.

4. valley1

valley1 TS Member

Thanks to all
    Val

5. krieghoff80

krieghoff80 Member

i'll tell you my experience....bought a gun from n.y. ..... ffl there had to
    "CALL" atf and get a "shipping number" to ship to my ffl in calif.....
    5 min. call and it was done....got my gun to my ffl, no problems.....
    it was really, really easy.... remember "protect yourself" eric

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

krie...80, your seller sent your gun from his FFL to you FFL, that's why he needs to call CA DOJ. ONLY out of state FFL needs approval, not individuals.

I bought a shogun from FL, the seller doesn't believe me that he can send directly to my CA FFL, he had the gun shipped from his FL FFL, it cost him $100 for UPS ground service.

I have three FFLs in L.A. that accept shipments from out of state individuals. Did it many many times.

7. randy-s

randy-s Member

I have posted this statement on several other forums in the past. Hopefully it will help clear things up.

"Fellow members,

It seems that many firearms sellers weather a private party or a FFL holder, have problems selling firearms to California residents. It is unfortunate that false information has been spread online regarding this subject. Many online auctions contain the phrase “No sales to California” or “Free shipping to the lower 47”. The same is true of many forum sellers.

When selling a LONG GUN to a California resident it is not a big deal as some have been led to believe. According to federal law, if a private party in another state wishes to sell to an individual in California he does not need to have a FFL holder on his end have anything to do with the transaction. Simply get a copy of the buyer's FFL, and any personal information you desire; then ship the gun. It is no different than shipping to most other states. Unfortunately some California FFL holders have been misled to believe that a gun must be shipped from an FFL, this is just not true. If an FFL dealer ships the item to an FFL in California he must first notify the California Department of Justice to get a "Firearms Shipment Approval Number" that he includes in his paperwork. This procedure is free and takes only minutes online and is available 24/7. For information see this FAQ: http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs.php. The California DOJ can be reached online, http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/, or by phone for further clarification. If you are in the business of selling guns, charge for this service rather than exclude someone from purchasing the item.

It in not my intent to discuss the sales of hand guns, or sales between two California residents, nor do I wish to discuss the current political atmosphere in this state. Hopefully one seller will see the light and one potential buyer will not be excluded from a purchase."

Respectfully,

Randy Shelton

8. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Randy, thanks for taking the time to clarify some issues. People shipping guns to Ca. also need to keep in mind when shipping to an FFL that Dealers here are under constant scrutiny by Ca. Doj mafia and may be reluctant to receive delivery from a non FFL holder. FFL To FFL ensures that proper identification has been documented and helps keep the DOJ hit men at bay.

Though FFL to FFL is a little more costly and having to obtain a Ca.Doj shipping number is a minor inconvenience all party's are protected. I had a seller refuse to ship to Ca. and in retrospect I'm glad the deal didn't happen. It could well be that the "seller" would not have passed legal scrutiny.

In short to sellers, if you are legitimate and have a Ca. resident interested, the hurdles are not that difficult and Californians understand they might have to pay additional fees to make the transaction occur.

For all those who reside smugly in States that are more firearms friendly. Keep this in mind, it wasn't that long ago that Californians could buy and sell as freely as anyplace else on earth.

Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ship gun to california

shipping gun to california