1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping gun to California

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by valley1, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valley1

valley1 TS Member

Can someone tell me what i need to ship a sporting clay gun to California.
    Thank you

2. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Good luck, It mite be wiser to hall it there in a vehicle.

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

You can ship directly from you to the buyer's FFL after he sent you a FFL copy. There're no special requirement for shotgun ship into California other than a CA FFL.

4. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

Just call the FFL dealer you are sending it to and he will give you his information and he needs your info & copy of your ID, send it Fedex.
    I purchased a gun from North Carolinaa here on trapshooters and the gent had no problems sending it to my FFL dealer.

Jack

5. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

California shooters are getting the short end of this discussion. We are no less dedicated then the rest of the nation. That said, if your FFL simply calls the Cal. Doj end asks for a transfer number to send to a Ca. FFL no problems should be incurred. A little bit of a hassle but not so much that a fair transaction should not occur. I'll beg to suggesst that anyone reluctant to ship a firearm to California has more to loose then gain by the transaction. Read whatever you want to into that statement.

Robert

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Many are fed up with the red tape and also risking a violation of law when selling firearms, especially handguns, to someone in California.<br>
    <br>
    First, if a handgun, the resident must have a Handgun Safety Certificate, or pass a test to get one. If the buyer does not have one, he has delayed the sale or killed it outright. And it doesn't matter if you already have the Basic FirearmsSafety Certificate (BFSC). There is no grandfathering.<br>
    <br>
    Then the handgun must be approved by California DOJ, using a long list of criteria and tests, including drop tests. Only the manufacturer or importer can send a gun for testing, and they must bear the costs of the testing. If certified, the certification is only good for a year, then the gun must be resubmitted again. Sub-models must each be submitted. For example, S&W Model 19, 19-1, 19-2, 19-3, etc., are all considered separate models, and each would have to be certified individually, every year. A manufacturer is not going to submit old guns.<br>
    <br>
    Let's supposed the gun is on the list. The seller's FFL must now get absolute certification that the buyer's FFL is valid. It's not good enough to just get a photocopied FFL for California. DOJ must approve the transfer.<br>
    <br>
    Then, it is a violation of the law for an FFL to ship a handgun to a California FFL via USPS, even though Federal law says they can. California mandates another common carrier be used, like Fed Ex or UPS.<br>
    <br>
    I cannot blame anyone who is gunshy about risking breaking the law or risking their FFL to meet all the criteria that California wants.<br>
    <br>
    Then there's the sheer economics of the situation. Given that some dealers on, say, Gunbroker are only making a markup of as little as $20 on a gun, they don't want to waste their time or effort with all the red tape. They'll go negative on their markup. I don't know if the rules on Gunbroker allow it, but if I was in that position and selling to California, I'd put a shipping and handling surcharge on all transactions for that state.<br>
    <br>
    So yes, people selling guns, especially handguns, to California do have more to lose than gain. And it is more than a little bit of hassle, especially for a dealer who does not routinely sell there, or for those on thin margins.<br>
    <br>
    As for blaming those who won't sell as aiding and abetting the anti-gunners, that's rich. California gun owners can't even rein in their own Republican politicians, who are busy approving gun bans and ammo restrictions. I'll go so far as to say a lot of California gun owners are liberals who voted in the very people who screwed them. Of course there are conservative gun owners who oppose anti-gun politicians, but there is not a firmly united pro-gun movement there. It's all but irrelevant.

7. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Valley-

You have a PM. It cuts through the above sh!t!

AndyH ;-)

8. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

so can an private party outside of Cali ship a handgun via Fedex to a buyer's FFL in Cali or does it have to go through seller's FFL to buyer's FFL?

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Steve is correct, I just shipped to an ffl there from here in Idaho

10. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

What Steve said is CORRECT! As long as it goes to a current FFL dealer!

"You can ship directly from you to the buyer's FFL after he sent you a FFL copy. There're no special requirement for shotgun ship into California other than a CA FFL. "

AndyH ;-)
    CA Resident

11. mike b.

mike b. Member

On the shotgun issue, include a good copy of your drivers license when shipping to the Ca. FFL. USPS can also be a carrier but must use a certain type of tape when using them.(which is available at packing stores....call them for exact info)

12. Brian in Oregon

Bryan, that is not the word we are getting. Collector handguns are being denied transfer because they haven't been submitted for testing, they lack chamber indicators, they lack magazine disconnects, etc. Anyone wanting to ship there should check out the official Cali DoJ page.

13. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

The CA DOJ specifically states:

Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

The last sentence means ANY handgun can be transferred between private parties. A DEALER cannot accept or sell a handgun not on the approved list.

AndyH :-|

14. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

And no one in their right mind would ship a handgun to a stranger, Interstate or Intrastate. You would have to be out of your mind to do that. Most of this talk could be a felony to be a party of.....who cares what 2 fools do in a parking lot at a gun show and GET AWAY WITH IT.....

Most gun owners respect their 2nd Rights.....Abuse the law and their history.

The masses will cease doing business with CA......It will be up to CA. to fix it.....The rest of the country will not tolerate being CA's scapegoat and blamed for their problems.

CA. got into this mess....It's up to them to get out of it.

15. randy-s

randy-s Member

I have posted the following on several other sites. It pertains to LONG GUNS only. Hopefully it will clear the air. Steve W, thanks for your inputs in the past.

Fellow members,

It seems that many firearms sellers have problems selling to California residents. It is unfortunate that false information has been spread online regarding this subject. Many online auctions contain the phrase “No sales to California” or “Free shipping to the lower 47”. The same is true of many forum sellers.

When selling a LONG GUN to a California resident it is not a big deal as some have been led to believe. According to federal law, if a private party in another state wishes to sell to an individual in California he does not need to have a FFL holder on his end. Simply get a copy of the buyer's FFL, and any personal information you desire; then ship the gun. It is no different than shipping to most other states. Unfortunately some California FFL holders have been misled to believe that a gun must be shipped from an FFL, this is just not true. If an FFL dealer ships the item to an FFL in California he must first notify the California Department of Justice to get a "Firearms Shipment Spproval Number" that he includes in his paperwork. This procedure is free and takes only minutes online and is available 24/7. For information see this FAQ: http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs.php. The California DOJ can be reached online, http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/, or by phone for further clarification. If you are in the business of selling guns, charge for this service rather than exclude someone from purchasing the item.

When it comes to shipping here are a few suggestions. You can not pack the item good enough. Shippers are rough on packages. Double boxes, proper tape and labels are a must. UPS Stores or UPS drivers will not take firearms as a rule however, USP Customer Service Centers will. The safest and fastest way from my experience is to ship by the USPS Express Mail. Your item is under lock and key and is signed for every time it changes hands. This service is a bit more costly but delivery is fast, can be insured and tracked. I do not have experience with FedEx but have read good reviews of their service shipping firearms.

It in not my intent to discuss the sales of hand guns, or sales between two California residents, nor do I wish to discuss the current political atmosphere in this state. Hopefully one seller will see the light and one potential buyer will not be excluded from a purchase.

Respectfully,

Randy Shelton

16. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Well said, Randy. Too bad other posters (imposters?) don't see sales to CA residents as you, or I, do!

AndyH ;-)

17. Brian in Oregon

Well good luck with that. A lot of California dealers are refusing to accept transfers from out of state individuals, even though it is currently legal. And yes, this does bypass the current restriction on handguns needing to meet the new criteria. It is a sure bet that it won't be long before this oversight is corrected and all transfers going into California will have to be FFL to FFL.<br>
    <br>
    Again, I can't blame anyone outside of California for not wanting to play their game.<br>
    <br>
    What cracks me up is when we see someone whining on the Internet about this new law was the same knucklehead who was advocating throwing OTHER gunnowners to the wolves. There are some Fudd websites that are full of fools like that. They were warned that you cannot appease the unappeaseable, and the anti's would be after them as soon as they were done with the others.<br>
    <br>
    Maybe California can stand as a wake up call for what's coming down the pike to other states if they aren't vigilant and fail to stand united. And don't stop voting for the Democrats and RINOs who are giving their gun rights away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.