1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping Gun to California

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ramorton, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Could someone tell me how and what the laws are on shipping a gun to California. Thanks, Roy

2. Gary Beer

Gary Beer Member

I believe a handgun has to be shipped from a FFL to a FFL. Long guns can be shipped from a private party to a FFL. Some California FFL's like all guns to be shipped from FFL to FFL for ease of tracking?

3. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

I just shipped to Perazzi USA from Utah using UPS with no issues. I had to use the main UPS office and not one of those mini UPS Stores. They wouldn't send it. I thought they were UPS, but I guess they are individually owned and have their own rules?

4. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

It has to go to an FFL in CA and some FFL dealers in CA require it to be sent from an FFL rather than a private party. Its best to call the FFL in CA first and ask what the requirements are.

5. Cazadore

Cazadore Member

Roy: check out the following. http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcoverview CA has some different laws and only "approved" guns can be shipped in and transferred. Long guns aren't a big deal though. As a dealer I have to log on to CA DOJ with my CFLC# and get an Approval Number and verification for the receiving FFL. Not a big deal just an extra hoop or two. Good Luck, Doug

6. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Just say NO.

7. krieghoff80

krieghoff80 Member

The sending ffl calls the ATF and gets a shipping number(a 2 min. call).....he can then ship it to calif.
    Got my gun from Maine that way......no hassles at all, like some of these misinformed readers on this forum......you keep telling them but they just don't get it. ....again,you only need a shipping number from the ATF......very,very simple!

8. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

(I live in San Diego,) I have bought and sold, imported from out of state, and shipped out of state...it is very easy to do...for a long gun, a private party can ship to California, as long as it arrives at a FFL holder, you will need to include a Bill of Sale for a new gun, not required for a used gun, annd a photocopy of your driver's license. For a new gun transfer, the Bill of Sale needs to show Sales Tax paid, or the FFL Holder will charge his local Sales Tax. Some FFLs charge sales tax for used guns as well, so any Bill of Sale will assist the buyer. Also include the buyers name/ADDRESS/PHONE NBR as the reciever of the firearm...Handguns are a bit different..Not sure...call the recieving FFL to clear up any questions...I have a great guy here in San Diego if you are shipping here....LarryB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.