1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping Gun to buyer info needed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bowdeadly, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bowdeadly

bowdeadly TS Member

I just sold my shotgun to a nice Gentleman here in the forum and must ship it to him. Do I have to ship it to an FFL license holder to complie with State and or Federal Regulations? Any and all info or links welcome.
    Thanks,
    Mark

2. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

transfers must be through FFL holders.

3. Tatanka Donk

Tatanka Donk Active Member

That's not correct. You can take it to your local US Post Office and mail it directly to the individual, unless you are an FFL yourself. Just go and ask you Postmaster.
    I've done t many times.
    Don Kerce 90-05552

4. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

You don't have to ship to an FFL holder if the buyer is in the same state I believe.

Out of state must be shipped to an FFL.

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

There are new rules now out by the BATF and a fairly new 4473.

A sale of a gun is supposed to be registered through an FFL. The BATF wants ALL transactions registered, if possible. Hence, the tightening of sales at Gun Shows. The present new 4473 specifically asks this question.

I you want to be safe, then ship to an FFL, always.

You can ship anything you want about anywhere, but if something goes wrong, you may have some explaining to do.

You can also ship directly to an FFL yourself, or such places as Remington Arms for gun repais.

Whiz<BR>
    FFL since 1973

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Unless I'm missing something, all out of state sales require FFL involvement and it's been that way for years.

In state sales do not, but check your own state laws.

-----

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

-----

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

-----

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

-----

And, while were at it, who CANNOT receive a FIREARM...

(B5) Are there certain persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms and/or ammunition?

Yes, a person who –

(1) Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;

(2) Is a fugitive from justice;

(3) Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;

(4) Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;

(5) Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;

(6) Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;

(7) Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;

(8) Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner; or

(9) Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence

(10) Cannot lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.

A person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year cannot lawfully receive a firearm.

Such person may continue to lawfully possess firearms obtained prior to the indictment or information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.