1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping gun by UPS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Samuel, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samuel

Samuel TS Member

Just called UPS about shipping hangun and they said It would

have to go next day air only, thats crazy if true.

Sam

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

not true

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Yes, it is true. This is UPS's policy, in effect for the past several years.

Doug

4. Samuel

Samuel TS Member

Thanks for info guys, that makes a 400 dollar gun
    from Indiana to Texas 90 dollars. Unreal.

Thanks
    Sam

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

UPS

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).

6. SoTo

SoTo Active Member

Send it Fed-ex. A gun is not considered hazardous goods by UN shipping codes only explosives (ammunition, fireworks, etc.) Fed-ex will ship a gun anywhere any time with any of the express or ground services without additional cost because it is a gun. That is why we use only Fed-ex at Shooter's Emporium unless a customer has their own UPS account and are willing to pay for ON shipping.

Beth

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

FedEx

Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.

8. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I think that USPS will take handguns if they go from one FFL to another.

9. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Just went thru this, USPS FFL to FFL on hand gun. Shotgun from me to FFL. FED X was overnight only. $50.00 thru USPS and would have been $150.00 fed x. Wouldn't send mother in law thru UPS. Jake

10. 47bt99

47bt99 TS Member

The next day air shipment requirement only applies to pistols not long guns. The reason UPS and FedEx requires next day air shipment for hand guns is because too many were stolen by their own employees. The last time I tried to send a hand gun for repair to the manufacturer by FedEx, I was told that the gun would have to be disassembled. I chose to send it by UPS next day air in one piece.

Bob

11. Stumpstalker

Stumpstalker TS Member

As a retired disgruntled USPS employee, I laugh at UPS when then say that they work at the speed of business. They have no secure way of transporting anything so they require pistols to be sent by next day air so that fewer can be stolen by their employees.

The USPS sucks if you have to work for them (however bad you think it is, it is much worse), but they have registered mail and any item has to be signed for whenever it changes hands. The only bad thing is that only FFL holders can use it to ship guns. We peons can't.

I had a gunsmith on one of my routes and if he wasn't home, I left him a notice. I wasn't going to leave the pistol in his mail box on on his porch. He knew my route and could find me to pick it up. It was my ass if anything was stolen. They were sent by regular mail and no signature was required to say money.

Carmine

12. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Fellas I just sent a Beretta to Iowa, Fed X would only ship the darn thing over night. I questioned the clerk AND supervisor. I sent it USPS and they sent it priority. I shipped on Fri and it arrived the following Monday. If you do a mock shipment thru fed x you too will see that it will come up over night. Jake

13. 682b

682b Member

I shipped a 1100 in a factory size box. I went to fedx and was told that because I wanted to insure it for 900.00 that it had to go express. 156.00 I took it to my local ffl and let him ship it and it was under 30.00. Last week I sent a 45 lb box of 1100 D grades insured it for 7500.00 and the cost was 62.50. Those guns are now at the world skeet shoot in the possession of Kurt Grates. Jim

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Go USPS Priority insured. Usually very fast and convenient!!

15. SoTo

SoTo Active Member

I deal with Fed-ex every day of the week and I think you guys being forced to send stuff O/N through Fed-ex are being mislead by these little mail stop businesses so they can make MORE money on the O/N shipment vs slower cheaper services. Call Fedex directly 800-463-3339. I was on the phone with them for over an hour yesterday and even did a conference call with the UN shipping code people. You do not have to send a gun Overnight using Fed-ex as it is NOT considered hazardous and does not even have a Haz code. Plus insurance does not have anything to do with the service. I send stuff Fed-Ex ground all time insured for $10K and even $15K depending upon the value of the gun.

Beth

16. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I just shipped a long gun via UPS Ground. I insured it for $2000. When the driver picked it up he signed my receipt and told me that each driver that took possession of it would have to sign for it because it was insured for over $1500.

Jim Skeel

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I think the subject is restricted to HANDGUNS, since that's what the original poster was talking about.

And when I talked to USPS, UPS, and FEDEX I learned (or at least was told) for HANDGUNS being shipped by INDIVIDUALS who do not have an FFL:

USPS - No handguns from an individual to anyone.

UPS - Handguns by overnight Only

FEDEX - Handguns by overnight Only

If you have an FFL, its a different story.

If you're shipping a long gun, again, its a different story.

18. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

I shipped 2 machine guns by ups--labled them as machine parts. No problem. Guns were shipped to class 3 ffl holder.None of their business what you ship as long as it's legal.

19. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Not too long back I sold a pistol through Gunbroker and found that the easiest way to handle it is just have your FFL, gun dealer, do it because they can use the post office to send to a receiving FFL holder. My dealer charged me $15 plus shipping cost. I boxed everything up Priority Mail at the gun shop. Biggest expense was the insurance on a high dollar gun. I am lucky to have a great, very helpful gunshop owner in Cortez CO. My 2 cents. Richard Strickland gyrine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.