1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping gun barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dds4horse, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

I need to ship a gun barrel for repair since it is just the barrel can I ship UPS or USPS, and do I need anything special. oscar

2. rbk18

rbk18 Member

Just like Hugh said, ship with USPS. They have the boxes for free and there rates are reasonable. Bruce

3. cnsane

cnsane Member

After bad first-hand experience: I recommend PVC pipe with threaded end caps. That's how I ship my K80 bbls after I bubble wrap them and pad the tube ends with dish towels. Triangle tubes can be bent-so can barrels. But it's a rare occurence. Like traffic tickets.

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Kolar likes UPS, I use a barrel box ~5" square foam/plastic lined, and tell the dofus at the counter it's "parts", never mention gun, ...ever, as you're dealing with personal agenda, not law.

best....mike

5. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Like cnsane, I'm a PVC-in-a-box guy. Mike

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

PVC Pipe is the only way to go for safety.

7. dls guide

dls guide Member

USPS priority mail is what I use. Ups and Fed-ex are fast becoming brain dead.

8. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

I have a client that ships thousands of packages a day. They feel FEDEX is the way to go and the best tracking. USPS uses UPS tracking software go figure.

9. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

I use PVC pipe and caps, one end glued and other closed with duct tape. Guess which end they opened with a saw last time out. Put a open here label on the taped end. No names will be released. D Winter

10. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Like others I use ABS drain pipe with the rubber cap screwed and glued on one end and the stainles steel hose clamp which I cover with tape to prevent snaging when securing the cap on the other. I wrap the barrels with the round foam pipe insulation taping it in a few spots to keep it secure when pulling the barrels from the pipe. I use block foam cut round on both ends. I've made eight or nine shipments using the same peice of pipe, works great. I perfer FEDEX as a shipper.

Surfer

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The post office has two container that will work. One is the triangular box and the other is a cardboard tube. Both are 36" long, but they aren't free. They cost $4 plus the priority postage. Fine for the 1100 barrel I sent, but for a
    $2,000 or $3,000 barrel I probably would go with something sturdier.

12. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

PVC pipe with one end glued, other end taped & labeled. Wrap barrel in bubble wrap, pad ends & INSURE! Probably made four or five trips already. My pipe looks as if it has been thrown a couple of times, scraped up a bit, but as yet, no damage. Far more secure then the flimsey cardboard boxes. Tried one once, never again!

Big Jack

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I bought a barrel from a fellow ts.com'er. He used a very heavy walled cardboard tube. The barrel was placed into heavy foam tubing. It was pretty rigid and the barrel was well protected.

Of course, this barrel was pretty inexpensive compared to, say, a P or K gun barrel. If I was shipping something with substantial value I'd armor it up better, like with PVC tubing.

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I always ship mine wrapped in bubble wrap, inside a PVC pipe with the ends padded and capped. I put the tube in a FedEx triangular package and ship 2nd day air. Shipped many times and never has a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
can i send gun barrel withusps in pennsylvania

gun barrel shipping boxes

how to ship a shotgun barrel
how to wrap a gun for shipping
rules for shipping shotgun barrels

shipping gun barrels

tips for shipping a gun barrel
where to gfet a gun barrel shipping vessel