1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping gun back for service.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bjk1972, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Id like to send my combo back to Kolar for an annual. Any suggestions on shipping company and method. Id imagine that shipping it back in the americase is not the way to go.Any input is appreciated. Brad

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have shipped my Perazzi's back a number of times over the years in their original case only boxed. No problems.

Tom

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Shipping it back in the Americase is the only way to go with that gun. Wrap the case in cardboard. It may be expensive, but it is well protected and they can check fit, and operation on both barrels then as well. I use UPS with it insured for full value.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would never use UPS- I have had to sue them as have many other people.

I am not sure I would use the Americase- I would get a lightweight cheap plastic case with padding and put it in a cardboard box with some additional padding

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I use USPS, no problems.

Phil Berkowitz

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

From other threads it seems most damage is from moving back and forth, vs up and down.

Like Gene said, use plenty of padding on the ends. You can't pack it too well.

As for the shipper, it's the luck of the draw.

Regards....Gerald

7. Stl Flyn

I have never had a problem with UPS. Even had one claim where the person did not package the gun well and the bell end of a scope was broken off. The claim was made and the investigation along with the payment for full value of the scope, took a total of about three weeks.

Why would you worry about saving $50 - $100 for shipping expenses to ship it in a cheap case, where you could loose a hell of a lot more in damages to your gun? Does not make sense. Especially with a gun of that value.

Call Kolar, and ask them what they recommend. By the time you go through every suggestion on here you are going to be more confused than when you asked the question.

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I like the Idea to call Kolar for shipping advice.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. Stl Flyn

I would put money on it that they would suggest what I did exactly. But I have never asked them, so again call Kolar. They are super people to deal with.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Ditto on calling Kolar...

Jay

11. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

I have shipped twice with the USPS and had good results. Both times priority mail and fully insured for less than $100.00 each time. Gun arrived where I was shipping it to two days after I left it at the post office. I have had good results and would not even think twice about the Americase. Spending a few extra dollars and knowing that if the cardboard box gets torn that my gun is still protected, is cheap insurance for my brain. Knowing that I have done my best to protect my gun.

Jim Bradbury

12. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Call Kolar and have them send you one of their shipping cartons. They are heavy and work great. You will feel more comfortable while freight apes throw it, and they will. Whomever you use. Send your gun in the Americase as their shipping carton will be well insulated. Hope this helps, Roy

13. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Thanks Guys. I'll call kolar in the am.

14. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

fwiw I just shipped a gun in an aluminum airline case via UPS and my case was destroyed. It did protect the contents.it seems all UPS insures is the contents, so you have to make sure you but everything in a padded box and take your chances. No more UPS for me.

15. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I just shipped my Caesar Guerini back to CG. I put it in the factory plastic case and put the case in a cardboard box. The plastic case adds a couple of pounds but the protection it offers is worth it. That is how the gun was shipped to the dealer.

I use FedEx Ground but if you want to avoid some of the rough handling go with a 2nd Day service.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.