1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shipping from non ffl to ny

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CANNONRIDE36, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CANNONRIDE36

CANNONRIDE36 TS Member

who knows what is required by law to ship firearm from non ffl to new york.

2. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Lacking details, it's the same as anywhere else. If you are a nonresident, you have to ship to FFL in NY.

3. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Depends on the receiving ffl. Some will accept. Some won't.

Larry Frieders |

Grandpa's Arms, Inc. |

340 Marshall Ave #100 | Aurora, IL 60506 |
    Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm |
    Office: 630.859.0333 Cell: 630.992.7513 FAX: 630.859.0114

4. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Handguns has to come from and to FFL. Long gun can ship non FFL to FFL if they will accept it with proper ID.

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I do not believe XP100 is correct.

A non-FFL can ship a handgun to a FFL by UPS or FedEx (next day air).<BR>
    A non-FFL CANNOT ship a handgun via the USPS. Only a FFL can ship via USPS.

Sometimes you can save a little by shipping FFL to FFL with the USPS because the handgun can go Priority Mail.

Jim Skeel<BR>P/W Dealer/Distributor

6. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

NYS says handguns have to come to NY FFL with NY Dealer in Firearms License. Yes an FFL holer can ship handgun USPS

7. CANNONRIDE36

CANNONRIDE36 TS Member

so we are on the right track here,prety much what i have been told by Ny dealers but scenario is long gun shipped from private seller to ffl in NY. we know it has to go to FFL that will recieve from non FFl but sender stating he cant ship without copy of FFL gun is to go to and FFL will not disclose complete FFL copy for obvious reasons. So why would shipper require FFL? Anyone ore confused than me?

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I thought it was standard practice to get a copy of the FFL from the receiving dealer before shipping to him. Otherwise, what proof does the seller have that the shipment is legal? What concern does the dealer have, it's done this way all the time?

9. CANNONRIDE36

CANNONRIDE36 TS Member

MULTIPLE DEALERS STATED SAME THING , WONT GIVE OUT FULL FFL NUMBER TO A PRIVATE INDIVIDUAL. 4 DIFFRENT ONES. NOT SURE WHY MYSELF. WHAT COULD BE DONE WITH IT.I UNDERSTAND THE VALIDITY OF MAKING SURE ITS BEING SHIPPED TO LIC DEALER BUT ISNT THAT WHAT THE ATF PAGE IS FOR ? ATF LINK DIDNT SEEM TO SATISFY SELLER SAYING FFL COPY WAS NEEDED TO SHIP THE GUN, SO GUESS FROM WHAT IM HEARING THAT ISNT THE CASE.

10. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I don't think it is a legal requirement, but I really thought it was standard practice. You could be running into a situation where the seller is using UPS and they are telling him he has to have the recipients FFL, even though that is not actually true. I've run into that with UPS, even the real terminals, not just the franchise stores.

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Actual hard copy of FFL on seller's hand is not required. We've been using picture copies taken from cell phone send as email attachments for years.

Some ignorant people in this world made many things difficult by creating additional, unnecessary problems to others. In this case, you can verify FFL from the above ATF FFL EZ check web site too. Mark it on your paper or print the page.

12. CANNONRIDE36

CANNONRIDE36 TS Member

thanks folks, as i thought . appreciate the tima and input

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The FFL copy can have the license number blacked out. The gun must be sent to a FFL across state lines. As long as the copy has the FFL holders company name, and address on it, and it is a copy of the signed FFL license, the license number don't matter, on an individual transfer. It must be sent to the address on the FFL copy. It used to be that a ink signed copy of the FFL must be sent. Now they can be faxed, emailed, etc., so the ink signed copy is no longer needed.

Paranoia, is the cause for not wanting the FFL license number to be seen on the copy. If you have the address of the FFL you can get the number of the license by just doing a little investigating. When calling in transfers to the ATF, they have to be called in from the registered phone anyways. Most of the other requirements are from the FFL's making sure they are covering their backs, even though they are not a law, requirement. I often seen that a driver's license copy was required by the person sending the long gun, for the FFL in another state to receive it. That is not a Federal Law. It is however required of the FFL doing the transfer, to have the person the gun is being transferred to, to supply a photo id. with required information, usually a Driver's license, as to verify that the person obtaining the firearm is in person, and the one filling out ATF form 4473.

Go to the ATF website. Everything is there for CORRECT Federal information. Some states may have additions to the Federal laws. It also has the correct information for shipping hand guns, in addition to the information that Jim Skeel has provided above, as to the particular shippers policies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.