1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping costs

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by amboy49, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I just sold a Krieghoff - I shipped and insured it and the UPS charges were $111 !

I had no idea the shipping would cost that much. I was told since I insured the package for the sales price ($10,000) that really drove up the cost.

I don't often sell a gun for this price - but is there any less expensive way to ship ? I can't imagine this what the major high dollar guy vendors are paying.

Thanks in advance

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

0   0   0

In past years I've been using the post office...

3. amboy49

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I didn't think the P.O. Would insure for more than $5,000 ?

4. Dean Scott

Dean Scott Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

What Joe Said, much cheaper

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

send me the deatilas of the pacaging and I will run you a FedEx on that shipment

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

You can insure for over $5k USPS, but it has to go registered mail, which has specific packaging requirements (all seams must be sealed with paper tape so they can be overstamped).

I've had good luck with Fedex, and they are typically the cheapest. Almost without fail, UPS is far and away the most expensive.

Also, the gun vendors probably have an account set up and get volume discounts. I know the volume discounts with UPS are HUGE if you ship enough, usually 25-50% of rack rate.

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

http://www.shippingsidekick.com/shippingsidekick/getrates.wml

This has helped me a lot. The prices aren't usually 100% accurate (it doesn't take into account all the possible variables that might influence the price, the price may be off by a buck or two sometimes), but the price relationship b/w the 3 carriers is usually pretty accurate and will help you determine which one will be the lowest price.

8. amboy49

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

The package weighed a little over 19 pounds. I shipped the gun in the Boyt soft case with the Briley subgauge tubes in it as well.

I don't remember the dimensions of the box - but suffice to say probably around 42" long, 3" thick and 12-14" wide. I taped the sh_ _ out of the box but the tape couldn't have weighed that much ! Delivery is supposed to take from today at 1:30 to end of business day Wednesday. Again, the UPS clerk said it was because of the insurance.

Hopefully I'll know better next time when I negotiate the sales price of a gun - if there is a next time since I'm not in the habit of owning or selling a gun of this price.

In fact I've sold a couple of auto loader shotgun barrels in the last couple of weeks. By the time I purchased a good solid shipping tube, paid postage, and insurance the shipping was about $30 for each barrel - not counting the bubble wrap and the shipping tape. 8 >)

Once again, my motto - "Buy retail and sell wholesale." If that doesn't work and I'm still losing money on each sale, I'm going to get a bigger truck !

9. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

In my area UPS and Fed X wont ship a gun insured if they know it's a gun---I use USPO and leave a copy of FFL with a statement that gun is in pck and not loaded----Statement has to be signed by 2nd party----That way I know it's on the way insured and accepted with the knoledge that it's a gun---Never had a problem--If you don't believe me try to ship with UPS or Fed x and tell them it's a gun---Get their answer---If you don't tell and have a claim they won't pay---That's my experience for what it's worth--UPS and FedX may be cheaper but your on a wing and a prayer---I'll pay the extra and know I'm safe---Do what you think is best-----George@SJB

10. high 2

high 2 Member

0   0   0

FedEx is by far cheapest for me. I get a NRA Business Alliance discount. UPS insurance runs about $.95 per $100, so $10,000 adds up in a hurry. The size and weight doesn't make that big of a difference. Larry

11. mission6222

mission6222 Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Just shipped today fed ex from calif to tn.16# 1000.00 value, 29.79, First time with fed ex, past shipping about same distance 40.00 ish. Loyd

12. quartering

quartering Active Member

0   0   0

just played with the ups shipping cost calculator: to ship $1 insured: $19. to ship $1000 insured: $26. to ship $10,000 insured: $110. there you go

13. wbill

wbill Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

If you carry gun insurance on your guns you can ship anywhere in the USA for ground delivery price because your gun insurance will cover it. Call Diana Crawford at Ace Insurance. It will save you a lot on shipping plus you have piece of mind. Bill

14. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

0   0   0

united states post office is the way hands down they have it all an no problems doing it i live in mattituck n y use them over the others

15. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Just ran 19 pounds from Minneapolis to Reno, NV registered mail insured for $10,000. Cost was $70.80. I believe Registered Mail to be the most secure shiiping this side of armed courier.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.