1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping Cost

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by k3uro, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k3uro

k3uro Member

0   0   0

Just shipped a Shooting jacket and a reloader. %30 increase over last year. Fuel prices are the same.

Post Office Jacket $18

Fedex Ground Reloader $28

Take care,

Jim

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

I would agree. FedEx has moved up to UPS levels. Makes sense that now that they are busy, they want to maximize profits. FedEx was cheaper.

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

0   0   0

I ship everyday, ups and post office, I havent noticed a 30% increase.. by way of UPS..in june of 2009 I sent 10 packages to San Antonio 580 pounds $220.00
    yesterday I shipped the same shipment same place on UPS at a cost of $233.00 im not sure what the increase was but I dont think its 30%

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

We compare FedEx to UPS on occasion to see if FedEx is still lower. It is not and only has the $10 PU fee weekly as a difference. But the comparisons come out to the penny 8identical

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I justed picked up all 3 sizes of US Post Office flat rate boxes and they all went up by at least 30% or so. Break-em all. Jeff

6. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

The four Flat Rate Box postage prices increased 25 cents per box on January 3, 2011.

Small FRB $5.20

Medium FRB $10.95

Large FRB $14.95 ($12.95 to a APO/FPO address)

The average parcel increase was only 1.8%.

7. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Did you consider alternative methods of shipping?

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Must have been wrong! I thought that the Med. was like 7 something or so 6 months ago. Break-em all. Jeff

9. k3uro

k3uro Member

0   0   0

Hi,

Well, the differeance between Priority and 1st is usualy not worth the differeance.

Fedex ground to ship a realoader last year was under $20. No real records to look at just my old memory.

The last time I used the flat rate the box was around $7, have they always had 3 sizes?

Anyway the buyers got the deal this time so a lesson learned is good I guess.

Take care,

Jim

10. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

0   0   0

I've found that it depends WHERE you ship from also. I had the local 'shipping center' (UPS, FEDEX) rate a package for me and it was $38.00. Went to the UPS center and it was $24.00.

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I ship every single day of the business week. Here's my preferences:

1. Not considering insurance, I use USPS (and if item is at or around $100 for insurance purposes).<BR>
    2. Higher prices items such as barrels, receivers, guns, etc., I prefer FedEx. They are generally the cheapest.<BR>
    3. My last choice is UPS.

FYI.

Whiz White

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Same order as Whiz. If its a couple pounds or less, and/or a couple hundred dollars or less, it goes USPS. If its heavy or expensive, it goes Fedex. The only time USPS beats out fedex on a package is if the total shipping cost is under $15, any higher than that and Fedex is the better rate. Fedex is still 20% or more cheaper than UPS for me, and I'm paying rack rate w/ no business discounts. The only time I've shipped UPS in the last 3 or 4 years was when it was shipped on the recipient's account #.

http://www.shippingsidekick.com/shippingsidekick/getrates.wml

Use this for quoting shipping rates. Quicker than going to each companies website individually, and its pretty accurate in my experience (occasionally it might be a quarter or so different from what you actually pay).

I haven't seen prices go up all that much in the last year. Flat rate boxes just took a little bit of a jump, but Fedex ground service has been pretty much the same.

13. postmastertim

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

There was a big change to the FedEx and UPS dimensional rate charges this year that will cost alot more to ship hulls.

See Link

14. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

0   0   0

May as well throw my thoughts in to see what happens. Whether you use UPS or FedEx is an individual choice based on costs, service, past success or failures & of course, how you were treated by all that work for these companies. Yes, rates for both of these have risen, as well as the USPS rates. The 1st 2 carriers are an example of well run companies that realize they must make a profit to remain healthy, take decent care of their EEs, share holders, customers, etc. Then you have the USPS that claims to be a private company until they get into financial trouble & then they suddenly seem to revert to being a governmental agency that needs the help of the taxpayers. To compare the USPS to either of these other carriers from a service perspective is much like comparing shooting an old single shot hammer gun to the new style trap guns we all love. Now that I have stirred the pot, I will tell you I work for 1 of the FedEx companies. Having said that my reciever for my Blaser came back from Allem's via UPS & I have no issue with these folks as they are a good competitor that deserves our respect.

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

FWIW, I know when I was shipping 2 guns in a Hall case from MA to AZ there was a big difference between UPS and FedEx. Mr Brown did not carry them out.

16. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I don't know about Fed-X, but UPS has different tiers for their customers. I use UPS here and have close to $8000 worth of shipping charges per year. In the past 5 years, they have REDUCED my shipping rates 3 times because of the quantities. I never did sign up for their $10 per week daily visits. I do have my drivers cell phone and just call him when I need to ship. I have on occassion called the terminal if the driver is a sub, and they would waive the special call fee.

When I spoke to the rep at the terminal about a daily stop and if it would reduce my shipping fees, she told me I was already getting the preferred shipping rate, and that UPS had waived the weekly fee.

When I return a package to the customer, the UPS shipping charges are always cheaper than the UPS charges to a retail customer, by about 15%. Most times, when a package come in from the USPS, the shipping charges are on the "stamp", I can beat them by 20% or more.

I've gotten nothing but great customer service from UPS. Then again, I'm dealing with a small terminal in Bemidji, MN, and is kind of a family run operation.

Doug

17. postmastertim

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

The Post Office is a self-supporting government agency that receives no tax dollars.

FedEx received 1.373 billion from the USPS transporting mail in 2010, UPS received 95 million.

FedEx and UPS combined drop thousands of parcels for the USPS to deliver daily.

Maybe one day we'll all be one big happy company.

18. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

0   0   0

With gas prices on the rise, everyone will be talking "fuel surcharge" on their deliveries. Only problem is, they charge you like yours is the only package on the truck.

Couple of years ago, when the gas prices were approaching $4, I asked the same guy to bring me another load of rock for the driveway. He quoted me a price and then said it "was a little higher because of the higher gas prices - $25.".

Later I got to thinking about it more - it's 2 miles from his house to mine, 7 miles to the quarry, 7 miles back. I figured 1.5 gallons one way, old price $3, new price $3.85, total gallons used 4, additional cost $3.40, fuel surcharge $25, makes sense to me. On the other hand, what are you going to do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.