1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHIPPING CONTAINERS AS CLUBHOUSE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by birdogs, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Has anyone incorporated one or more shipping containers (Conex boxes)in the construction of a clubhouse? My club has about 40 members but we never have more than 20 on the property at a time. We would like to build a clubhouse but are concerned about vandalism during the periods when no one even visits the place. This can be several months, especially during the summer when the ATV and dirt bikers illegally use the property

We already have a 20 ft. container which we use for storage and that has proven to be secure. We are thinking of placing 2 more containers in a "U" shape and roofing over the space above the "U". I am thinking that we shpuld use a metal roofing system. We would then have to construct a secure wall across the open end of the "U". Right now I am thinking of a block wall with a steel door. This would make the entire structure fireproof.

Has anyone constructed anything like this?

2. 548

548 Guest

Where do you get the containers? What would a container cost? Are they dry enough to store things like mower and pallets of targets?

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

They are water tight.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There is a gun shop here in Phoenix that use's them inside of the building for storage and they look like they would be good and secure ... Not sure what the situation is where you but I'm sure if someone wanted to get into them they could especially if they have plenty of time where nobody would be around so they could hack away at it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

One time on some show I think it was on the Discovery channel they built a huge house out of them, they cut some of them to fit but it made a neat place

But I think what you are taking about would work, you could weld C of Z purlins to the containers and cover with R panels and finish inside

Not sure where you are but you might have to figure in snow factor, we don't have that problem, well not that much the most we ever had was a foot

But we do have about 4 inches now and it is cold out there, ready for the warm up, 3 days of cold is enough

6. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

birdogs, I have built walls with metal siding outside and incorporated cattle or hog panals in the inner wall. Thieves could get through, but would have to have a bolt cutter, grinder, or torch along. We figure this would slow the amatuer down, and since most are in a hurry and looking over their shoulder, they may give up. These panals are available at farm stores such as TSC and are not alot of money. Good Luck

7. Matt Colman

Matt Colman Member

They use them for construction offices and they are finished with doors, frames, windows, VCT, AC, heat, sheetrock, paint and lights. very nice.

8. fnj682

fnj682 Member

Our club uses the storage containers for exactly that....storage. We store targets and equipment. I see that building your clubhouse is possible.

About security...they are only as secure as the lock that secures them. We had ours broken into twice. We had all our mowers and club maintenance equipment stolen twice within a years period.

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I live 35 miles from the Port of Los Angeles where there's a ready supply of shipping containers. My son bought a forty footer for a company where he was working $2,500 plus transportation.

I had a customer who used six insulated refrigertor containers nested together with wide passesges cut into them for his shop. They were cool in summer and warm in winter and filled the bill for little money when compared to new construction.

I thought if I ever owned a gunclub I would stack a twenty footer on top of a forty for the skeet houses. A number of clubs in the west use them for storage or small repair shops.

Surfer

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Perhaps I did not make mysef clear enough. We would NOT us the containers as the clubhouse. We would arrange them in a "U" shape and use the area they enclosed as the clubhouse. The containers would form 3 sides of the "U". The containers themselves would be used for equipment and supply storage.

We have found a way to secure the storage boxes themselves from forced entry. We have welded a metal plate to extend over the lock hasp (on the bottom of the right hand door). To get in, even with a key, you have to turn the lock in its hasp and reach in to stick the key into the lock. There is almostn no way to get at the lock itself or the shakle. You certainly cannot get a bolt cutter anywheres near the lock.

We are located in New Jersey so we do have an issue with snow. We are entertaining the idea of using a pitched metal roof for fire and snow-load reasons.

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

There are approved homes made from storage containers; architects/structural engineers have developed packages for housing, often secondary housing for a vacation cabin and the like. Perhaps a search would give you what you are looking for re. strength, load bearing abilities, etc.

I am not an engineer by any means. But I do understand that per weight, wood is many times stronger than steel. Wood is fantastically strong in compression. Steel is great in tension and in shear, wood not so good unless it is "engineered" wood. Therefore, it seems that the roof of a storage container could easily be braced on the inside via a post and beam arrangement. But, and a big but, such would take the services of a structural engineer. Or...ask a truck driver who has handled these containers or a longshoreman at a cold weather port what they have observed re. snow or ice loads.

This idea, however, to me, proposed use of the storage containers, sounds fantastic and very practical and, given some design thought, could look good too! (Paint 'em and add landscaping.)

12. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Not a club house, but the club had this container completely wired with outlets. They had a desk in there.

They placed a small building on top for a couple of machines for the 5-stand.

[​IMG]

13. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Just google storage container homes. There is more info out there than you can imagine. Pretty neat stuff. Bill

14. willing

willing Member

How about local building rules for places used by people??

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clubhouse containers

container club house

containers for sport clubhouse
ship container clubhouse

shipping container club house

shipping container clubhouse

shipping container sport clubhouse
storage container club house