1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping and receiving choke tubes internationally

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Hello All- I have a friend in Australia who needs replacement choke tubes for his gun, and is having difficultly sourcing them locally. He would like to send them to me, have me match them up and source them here, and have me ship everything back to him.

Is there any issues in regard to import/export, customs, ITAR, ect?

2. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

no issues.....I have bought and have sent choke tubes (to and from the UK) without issue or being hassled by Customs.

ITAR is more geared towards "defense" articles, not personal use firearms and ammo (there is a limit on the number of rounds of ammo you can export before ITAR regs kick in).

State Dept has detailed information on the web on what exactly ITAR allows and forbids. Choke tubes won't give you any headaches.

3. mwmham

mwmham Member

I will qualify this answer with this statement: "the advice given is worth every penny that was paid for it"

================================================

from Brownells:

Gun Accessories Information

Items classified as Gun Parts have strictly enforced rules that go along with these parts.

A Gun Part is “any item necessary to the operation of a weapon”. Many parts fall within this category, such as triggers, magazines, grips and barrels.

Current Regulations require An Export License for all Gun Part orders exceeding $100 (U.S.).

So is a choke a "gun part"? depends on the guy opening the package. I'd say it isn't but I wouldn't do it if the value of the package is any where near a 100 bucks.

=====================================

from fed website:

The US controls on the export of firearms extends to parts also. For small orders worth less than US$100.00 the US Department of State allows an exemption from the export licence. This exemption, however, does not cover ‘significant’ parts which includes; barrels, slides, cylinders, bolts, frames and receivers. It should be noted that there is no equivalent exemption offered by the Department of Commerce for shotgun parts. Further, there is no exemption for ammunition or ammunition components.

===================================

this doesn't even take into account the Aussie rules.

===================================

BTW, export of ammunition for/by a non-US citizen (no matter the quantity) can only be done with an export permit.

4. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't have choke tubes in your carry-on luggage or you will loose them. "Gun Parts", no matter how harmless, are still gun parts to officialdom in Mexico and England anyway.

5. Custer

Custer Member

No problems here! I live in Newzealand and have brought several choke tubes off different supplers from the US even sent my Perazzi trigger to Alems to convert to release, they sent it back within a month with no problems from either side. Custer

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

read the link above on the amount of ammo that is allowed to be exported, specifically this section:

A. LICENSING EXEMPTIONS: The ITAR provides for certain exemptions relative to the transfers of firearms and ammunition. Please read the complete applicable section of the ITAR:

? 123. 17(c) Temporary export of firearms and ammunition for personal use - U.S. persons may export temporarily not more than three non-automatic firearms and not more than 1,000 cartridges of ammunition provided this is for the person's exclusive use and not for re-export or other transfer of ownership (i.e., firearms for use on hunting trips or sporting events).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.