1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping ammo....Hazmat charge?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by famill00, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Hi guys, I have a question that I should know the answer to but I am having a brain fart. I have some ammo that I want to mail to my girlfriend's brother for Christmas since he just started shooting. I was wondering if I will have to pay a Hazmat fee to ship it. It is just some 22LR ammo...nothing major.

Thanks,
    Forrest

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

No hazmat fee, but you will need to pack it well, and mark it with a blue label "ORM-D". To avoid hassles, use Fed Ex main terminal, not a store.

Google Other Regulated Materials, and you can download a label to tape to package.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

You can send it UPS as well, i did this for a shoot. I don't believe you HAVE to have the sticker, when I shipped UPS, i wrote orm-d on the outside w/ magic marker. The only real restriction is you can't send any more than +-60 lbs (can't remember exactly) in any one package.

Shooting coach, thanks for the note on fedex, didn't realize you could use them as well, they are usually alot friendlier and CHEAPER than UPS, and have gotten all of my recent gun shipments.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

UPS has a policy that they want you to take their class (for $$$) before you can ship with them. A clerk may well miss stuff on the package, but another one might see it and refuse to ship.

Fed EX does not require a class. Don't EVEN use USPS.

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Fedex does require a class its $150 but you can do it on line. Ups you have to attend a class. rick

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Legally - You CANNOT ship the ammo to anyone unless you have been through a certificatino school by UPS, FedEx or the carrier you are using.

UPS charges $600 for the school, FedEx $150.

Be damn careful doing this. If something should happen, a wreck and the ammo goes off, you will have a Federal investigation because it could be an interstate shipement.

I checked with FedEx and UPS and was informed that althought I get ORM-D items all the time, I cannot ship without the certification.

I would be interested if this has changed since last summer when I wanted to send some trap ammo out of state.

Whiz<BR>
    FFL Dealer

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Its always amazed me how you need hazmat to ship primers and powder,But put the primer in the powder in loaded ammo and there is no hazmat charge.

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

This was posted, April 2007.

How to Ship Ammunition or Ammo

http://www.adazonusa.com/howtoshipammunitionorammo-a-45.html

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Posted May 2008

Transportation and Shipping of Loaded Ammunition

http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/shipping.htm

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Fedex took ammo from me last month to ship to another state. The counter person asked twice if the box had powder or primers, since there were bullets and empty brass also in the package.

After telling them what was in there they slapped a label on and off it went.

The "ORM-D" logo was on already since I had used a Box that previously was a flat of 12 guage.

We don't need no steenking class. (Maybe for out of country or to commiefornia)

HM

11. trap906

trap906 Member

i sometimes ship some ammo to my son in north carolina, all i ever do is put it in a box with enough packing so it don't slide around, tape up the box put address on it and take it to the post office, he gets it just fine. its no ones bussiness whats in that box, and what the post office don't know won't hurt them or anyone else

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how much is hazmat charges shipping ammo