1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping a shotgun??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ysr_racer, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I need to ship a shotgun to an FFL in another state. I know I can use FedEx. UPS or US Postal Service.

I'm not an FFL.

Which one do you guys recommend?

p.s. no, "label it as machine parts" replies, please.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

USPS Registered Mail- Very secure, but slow, and can be expensive. You're also required to seal the package in paper kraft tape, so they can stamp all seams.

Fedex- I've had VERY good luck with Fedex. They are almost always the cheapest. The counter person is friendly, and knows the regulations. I ship a vast majority of my packages through Fedex, and have one reloader totaled (Fedex paid off insurance in full), and one reloader received MINOR damage (fedex paid for repairs). Other than that, no issues.

UPS- Haven't heard may good reviews. I know alot of gun companies use them, but I'd guess its because UPS gives the best business discounts. Almost always more expensive than Fedex or USPS for regular consumers.

I think you'll find good and bad reviews for all carriers. It usually boils down to who gives you the least hassle when you go to ship. Other than that, there is always going to be some element of risk of damage or loss when shipping your gun. I have mine insured through SIAI for full replacement, then put a couple thou on the package for good measure (as recommended by SIAI).

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem shipping and have used all three, but in the past few years I've used the post office.

4. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Thanks guys, which one is the cheapest?

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I don't think you can quote registered mail in here, but it'll give you a starting point:

http://www.shippingsidekick.com/getrates.wml

6. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

YSR go to ups.com, usps.com, and fedex.com and plug in the weight of box the origin zipcode and the destination zipcode and you'll have your answer........

7. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

When shipping via USPS unless it is very valuable and/or irreplaceable, Priority Mailed Insured for replacement value may be the cheapest way with the postal service. You cant track the parcel on the USPS website. If you need written proof of receipt, then you need to pay more for Certified mail with a return receipt.

Jason

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Usually FedEx is about half of UPS. I only use FedEx now. Like Ian, I ship a lot and Ihave never had a claim of any kind on any service and I ahve used them all. But FedEx is my recommendation.

9. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

10. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I've shipped shotguns using all three.

Lately, UPS has been the best price. use to be USPS Priority Mail was just a smidgen over UPS Ground and I liked the fact the firearm was not in transit so long.

No matter which one you use, declare it as a firearm when presenting the package and go to a main hub / branch. not a UPS Store or FedEx Kinkos but the main customer service center. If using USPS, sometimes they are not as well educated on the shipping regs so be patient and ask for a supervisor if they give you any push back.

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My suggestion is to contact the FFL you're sending to and ask what shipping vendor they prefer to work with... When I ship, I typically try to ship FedEx as I get a nice discount throught the NSSF and I prefer their tracking.

However, when I send a 90T up to GunDr, he specifically asks that I use UPS, "because the FedEx guy arrives "late" and if its after hours, he'll leave packages...", after hearing that, I didn't care if what, if any, cost differential there was!

Ask the FFL what their preference is and run with that...

regards,

Jay

12. pdq

pdq Member

Skeetman:

a few months back I had experiences differnt than you state. Namely, FedEx refused to ship my gun because I didn't have an FFL. They were clear it could only go from an FFL to an FFL holder.

UPS accepted it and shipping was fine.

I sent a gun USPS a few years ago and the counter person made me completely tape all edges of a carefully taped box, simply because they wanted it taped with their tape.

Just 1 guys' experience.

Pete

13. locdoc

locdoc Member

Excellent suggestion, Jay.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

14. romie

romie Active Member

Don't use UPS They are horrable to collect from if there is damage

15. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

spitter: Fedex arrives here late also, will leave it by the door,UNLESS, you ask for a signature from the receiver. Then he has to go to the terminal & pick it up.Safer that way, but a PITA!

16. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Up here, Fed-X does not deliver on Mondays, and if a signature is needed they will not leave it by the door....anymore!! Running to either the UPS or Fed-X terminal to pick up a package is one hour away from my shop.

The UPS terminal in Bemidji,MN has been very accomodating to me. If I'm going to be out of the shop for a few days, they'll hold my packages...not return them to the customer.

I've only needed to make one claim, and instead of going through the main UPS offices, I just called my local one and they took very good care of me. The damage was to a newer cheap plastic Remington case that should not have been used for a shipping container. The latched were broke off.

Doug

17. Piper Mac

Piper Mac Member

I have a 90T that I bought used, with no box, etc. Want to send it to GunDr for work and need to know best way to package/ship....

18. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

PM the GunDr, but typically he requests UPS...

regards,

Jay

19. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

I inquired about shipping at USPS Thursday and was told they would not ship unless I was a FFL holder. That is in Florida. What's up?

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

What's up is you got an opinion from someone with a concrete block for a head.

You can get the USPS regs and print them out to bring along.

Go to Joe Potoskey's site and hit the USPS link. (Losttarget.com) Then print out the part that applies and bring it along with you to wave in their face.

I do get an occasional uninformed counter monkey that wants to exert his miniscule authority on me, and just reaching in your pocket usually brings a supervisor, LOL.

USPS ships all but pistols, those too if you're an FBI agent or corrections officer. (Don't ask me why)

They have the right to open the package and check that the gun is not loaded.

USPS Priority insured is the best way to ship a long gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.