1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping a shotgun to California

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If you're a private seller and not an FFL it is just as easy as any other state. The hard part is finding an FFL that will accept from an indivigule.

I got lucky during a recent sale and the receiving FFL in CA had no issues with the firearm coming from a private party. I just enclosed a copy of my drivers license and emailed a letter to the purchaser and receiving FFL that the gun was coming from a private party and not a dealer (if coming from a dealer the receiving FFL is supposed to collect sales tax on purchase amount).

It went very smoothly and both parties were happy.

ss

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Short, thank you very much for that help. Bulge.

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Put the product in a couple of seperate boxes. mark them as machine parts and send 'em.

Curt

4. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

What Curt said.

Clyde

5. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Sending a gun in boxes marked as machine parts is not too smart. You might save a small amount of money but if something happens the package in transit and you file a claim for the insurance it will be denied as the package contained mislabled items. Your money.
    Mike Battista

6. oakridge

oakridge TS Member

I live in California and have purchased several guns from other states over the years using the same legal and straight forward process. Years ago I selected a local FFL from the Gun Brokers on line list and continue to use him. The gun selling individual needs to mail the gun to the California FFL with a copy of their drivers license enclosed, and that's it. The California FFL fills out some paperwork, holds the gun for 10 days, and then delivers the gun to the buyer.

I recently purchased a Beretta from Mr. Charles on Trapshooters with no problems using this easy process. Mr. Charles is a very good person whom I would do business with again without hesitation and my daughter just ran her first 25 on the gun.

7. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

With the way this thread is going it is easy to see why people refuse to send to California. I guess you mite say it just ain't worth the "hassle" to some.

8. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

What twostrait said!

Shipping any firearm to CA is no different than shipping it to any other state. the Federal Govt does not care. It is up to the buyer, regardless of state, to know their local laws regarding the transfer of firearms. And CA has some real winners.

The Gunbroker FFL that won't ship to CA are either lazy, paranoid or stupid. and many are all 3.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"The California FFL fills out some paperwork, holds the gun for 10 days, and then delivers the gun to the buyer."

Maybe this is the part objected to? Tough to give a 3 to 5 day inspection after it's held for 10 days prior by the FFL holder?

Hap

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

ONLY out of state FFL needs an approval number from CA DOJ to ship firearm to a CA FFL. The number is obtained through CA DOJ web site, which takes 5 minutes. No phone calls, no mail, no paper. It's a pain in concept, but no more trouble than 5 minutes on computer.

An individual can ship firearm to CA FFL anyway he choose. NO need to ship FFL/FFL.

I have three FFL near me in Los Angeles that will accept firearms from out of state individuals, no problem what so ever. NO NEED to get seller's FFL involved.

I had a seller who does not trust what I told him, he feels safe to have a FFL shipped to my FFL (his FFL already has CA DOJ number), His FFL charged him $100 to ship FedEx ground, and it didn't leave his shop for 3 days, then it took 6 days on the road. I almost cancel the deal if he wasn't a nice guy.

11. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

> Tough to give a 3 to 5 day inspection after it's held for 10 days prior by the FFL holder?

There is nothing in there that says that the buyer can't go to the FFL and inspect while the firearm is being held during the 10 day period. The box can be opened on day 1 hour 1 after receiving and the firearm can begin to be inspected. 10 days is a counter where the private party buyer can't take possession. But possession and access to the gun are 2 different things. Don't make a big deal where one doesn't exist. I don't see where the hassle is for private party to private party transactions? There is no smoke, there is no fire.

12. Hap MecTweaks

S&M, no use gettin the panties all wadded up guy! I said it may be a reason some refuse to ship, not receive?

Kinda tough to shoot a used gun when the FFL has it in his shop? Maybe a look see is ok by some but not in my opinion with a used gun.

Hap

13. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

Hap - sorry if I came off sideways, not intended. I could have stated things a bit better in hindsight. I'll pay more attention to the "tone" of my typing going fwd

Agree, but isn't shooting during the inspection window usually considered a no-no? I thought inspection was supposed to be more visual/hands on vs shooting. I guess it is up to the buyer and seller to figure out what is permitted/verboten in the end

14. Hap MecTweaks

No problem at all Mike!

Buying a new gun, one at least has a chance the factory/dealer will replace a defective part or gun? A used gun? From an individual that may shoot 2 feet left/right or low? Unless I knew the seller or his reputation, I wouldn't buy a pig in the poke without a working inspection!! Such a gun would be totally useless to anyone unless it was purchased with that prior knowledge.

That's why I said, "maybe", that could be a sticker for dealers/people selling to CA buyers as a possible reason.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shipping a shotgun in california

shipping a shotgun to california

shipping shotgun to california