1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping a long gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by revbook, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revbook

revbook Member

I am selling a shotgun, out of state, to a fellow Trapshooters.com member. I am new to this and would like recommendations on the best way to get it to his FFL. The FFL recommends USPS.

Don

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

3. rick979

rick979 Active Member

USPS Priority mail. Never had an issue with them.

4. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I used UPS ground to ship a Beretta combo set and the case across the US from California to the east coast about 2 months ago. It cost $65 (insured for the full replacement cost). That will give you a guage which is cheapest. You can weigh the gun abd go to the post office website to calculate the cost.

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

One 16.5LB shotgun package just shipped from east coast to CA with $1500 insurance was $39 via FedEx ground. 4 days.

Everytime I check ground shipping with insurance, FedEx usually beats UPS by $10. (I heard UPS has better medical insurance than FedEX, maybe that's why) :).

6. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Question about shipping: when shipping from FFL to FFL, use can use the USPS? When shipping from individual to FFL, don't you have to use UPS?

Thanks,
    David McMillen

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

My FFL will let you choose the carriers. He has scheduled pick-up from all three carriers.

For handguns, USPS Priority Mail is the least expensive choice.

However, some Postal office prefer not to deal with firearms, it all depends on who you're dealing with.

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I've had my Ruger #1 in southern Utah to be restocked. I took it down in October, and have been awaiting delivery anxiously for six weeks now. The gun maker told me it was being shipped via UPS Friday afternoon. Yesterday afternoon I got a message from him that it never made it out of the St. George UPS facility. It seems that an employee managed to drive a forklift over the shipping box. Now it's back to square one, with the gun maker getting a new blank to match the forend and building the buttstock again. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of UPS right now.

9. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I've used all three with reasonable success. One thing to consider (at least in my area) is that the UPS and FexEx retail stores will not take a gun. You have to drive to a terminal. That is quite a pain in my area and costly with $4 gas. The Ace hardware across the street has a post office in it. I just drop of my gun with very pleasant and efficient folks and do a little shopping while I'm at it. Works good for me.

10. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I want mention the town name in florida, but, I ship shotguns all the time ups and fed-ex from the ups fed-ex store in this town, no problem. usps is ok but not nearly as low key and easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.