1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping a long gun from California?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Husky44, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

I live here in California (only for two more years) and may sell a few of my long guns (shotgun and deer rifle) on brand specific forums. I’ve never sold or shipped a gun in my life and was curious how to accomplish this task? Any preferred shipping companies, packaging, ffl forms? Any suggestions and tips would be appreciated. Thank you

Domenic

2. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I recently shipped just the receiver from a shotgun from California to PA for trigger work, and the US Postal Service got their panties in a bunch when I told them it was a shotgun part. They were very concerned that I might be shipping a gun to someone piece by piece (I wasn't, but so what?). They finally allowed me to send it, but only after I promised that the addressee was a business.

I also have recently shipped an entire shotgun using UPS from California to Maryland for repair. When I told UPS it was a shotgun, they put "shot gun" somewhere on the label and that was that. No other questions or problems.

My guess is that everyone has some story about FedEx or UPS or DLJ bashing or losing a package, but I think that's just the luck of the draw. They all do it once in a while. Those guys in the back are no different from airline baggage handlers. But FWIW, I won't use USPS again.

Ted K.

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Have the recipient send you the name, addresse and phone number of the FFL they want to use on their end. Then look it up on the BATFE website and make sure the business is legit. Send the gun to them and keep proof that is where the gun went. Once the FFL has the gun you have no control over what they do with it, but do keep proof that is where it went.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

1) You can legally ship a long gun from CA to an out of state FFL.

2) You can use USPS, UPS, FedEx ground service to save on freight if that's what you want.

3) The person over the counter might not have enough knowledge to properly handle your shipment, but it's up to you to choose the shipping service.

I like to use FedEx, I've shipped overnight, and ground services. Most staff over the counter don't even ask what's inside, although I had FFL copy in my hand just incase.

5. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

wrap it up, put it in a box, send it UPS to the FFL and forget it.

JON

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

On a side note, shipping a gun TO California is no different for a non-FFL INDIVIDUAL.

An individual can directly ship firearms to a CA FFL.

Only out of state FFL needs a CA DOJ approval number to ship to a CA FFL. The number can be obtained from CA DOJ web site in 5 minutes, no mail, no phone calls, no waiting, no cost. A pain in the A$$ idea, but not difficult in reality.

So, if any of you wants to sell a firearm to California buyers, DON'T bitch about it, and no need to go from FFL to FFL, only TO FFL.

The above information can be found on CA DOJ web site.

7. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Sounds like shipping shouldn’t be a problem, just a little paranoid in the anti-gun climate here. I’ll be moving to the family ranch in Idaho when I retire, at least I can shoot out the back door again. Thank you for the replies.

Domenic

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

You might get to shoot out the front door before too long the way things are going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.