1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping a gun to yourself, legal?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BustClays, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BustClays

BustClays Member

My son lives over 1000 miles away in another state (this is not Texas)an I want to have a shotgun there to hunt with when I visit. I would like to ship my gun to my name at his residence for my use. Am I breaking the law. Please answer only if you knoe for certain. Conventional wisdom abounds but I need a legal answer. (I do not want to fly with it on the airlines.)

Thanks, bustclays

2. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

No, you can't. Not legally.

Ric C.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Have your FFL send it to your sons Favorite FFL

4. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Reconsider flying with your gun as checked baggage. It's legal and easy.

5. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

Yes, you can ship a long gun to yourself, as long as no one else opens the package and you are legal to posess the firearm in that state. No transfer here, so FFL involvement is not needed. Make sure you follow the shippers rules to the letter.

from the ATF FAQ page

"(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm."

6. Ralph1100

Ralph1100 Member

I tried to do this a couple of months ago with UPS. Apparently, they have a new policy and will not allow this kind of shipment. The gun has to go to a repair center or FFL to FFL. I called UPS and they confirmed to me that they will no longer accept a shipment from myself to myself.

It may be legal but that doesn't mean that a shipper has to do it.

7. Ralph1100

Ralph1100 Member

I didn't call first. I've gone to the local UPS Customer Center in Deerfield Beach, FL many times, either to ship my shotgun to Remington for service or to ship a shotgun stock to Country Gentleman for some stock work. They know me and whenever I show up with a long box, they know what it is. Back in June I was there to ship something and asked them if I could ship a gun from myself to myself, because I was planning on flying to Utah for a shoot at Spanish Fork and was debating whether to take the guns on the plane or ship them. To my surprise, they said they would no longer accept that kind of shipment. I didn't believe it so when I went home I called 1-800-PICK-UPS and asked them. Got the same answer. I was told by UPS customer service that they would not ship a gun except between FFLs or to a repair center. This was in June 2008.

If anyone has successfully done this in the past few months, I'd like to hear about it.

If you don't believe it, call UPS and ask them.

Ralph

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Yes, legal.

No, no FFL. Mash the link.

Print off what you need and bring it so the counter monkey doesn't get creative and tell you bullshit.

HM

9. BustClays

BustClays Member

Thanks for all your help

bustclays

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.