1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping a gun from Iowa question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have had one encounter such as this about a year ago. I respectfully asked to talk to the postmaster. After a brief discussion between the postal clerk and his supervisor, (the postmaster), the issue was resolved. Also, you are asked if the content of the package has anything perishable, flammable, etc. in it. After you say no, you ship the gun priority mail, delivery confirmation with appropriate insurance. Since this encounter with the post office employee in February 2006, (I had just moved to Arkansas), I have shipped approximately 15 guns through this office with no problems. (No handguns though). Ironically the postal employee who initially told me I couldn't ship a gun through the post office without a FFL; told me he has 12 years seniority and never had shipped a gun for anyone, due to his beliefs. They do have a right to inspect the package if they know it's a gun, to assure that it is not loaded. I have never had this happen though. I have shipped guns through the postal system in Wisconsin, Arkansas and Florida. However, some states might have local laws that could affect the shipping. Ed

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do it Fedex- not UPS and not USPS

you will be glad you did

Gene

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It's a pity some of the postal employees think so little of their job that they don't know (and are unwilling to learn) the rules.

Whenever I go to the PO I have a printed copy of the rules, you can get them at Joe Potosky's website, thelosttarget.com.

Once in AZ the counter monkey had to go get the supervisor, otherwise never a problem.

You can't ship handguns through USPS unless you are law enforcement or correctional officer.

HM

4. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

I talked to the lady in the post office at Buffalo, Iowa about shipping a gun. This was about 6 months ago. She was very nice, and said it would be no problem. Buffalo is on highway 22 about 20 miles upriver from you.

Jim

5. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

The post office doesn't have a choice. As long as you follow the rules, they have to ship it. I would go back to the same PO and ask to speak with the post master. BTW, insure it well.

6. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I agree with halfmile that you should carry the rules with you. However halfmile, go to the post office and ask to see the DMM (domestic mail manual) and the IMM (international mail manual). I challange you or anyone else to memorize them. The window clerk handles everything, from everybody, going everywhere. You deal with relatively few items so it's much easier for you to know the rules for your particular products. Take the rules to back yourself in the event of challenge. You will sometimes save money by sending expensive items via registered mail because it is the most secure way to ship and thus saves you money on insurance. Bearer bonds, diamonds and gold often ship via registered mail. If something happens to your shipment, the post office has it's own federal law enforcement agency, the Postal Inspection Service, to track it down. I don't think any other shipper can compare to registered mail for security.

Regards

Bob

7. g7777777

if something happens when the postal service has your gun or ups - try to collect

its probably not going to happen

plus getting in an argument with a postal employee isnt going in the end get you anything

If you have a problem with a local post office interpretation- write the US postal service and ask them to advise the local office- they will get back to you and contact the local office

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. g7777777

good job Tim

My experience says they will get back with you

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

I bought a trap gun from an out of state guy on this site, who sent it to me in the mail, wrapped well, case and all, and marked fragile on it. Did NOT tell them what was in the box and it went thru just fine! He does it all the time and has never had a problem. As far as they know its a fragile lamp, who cares. It was so easy I will do the same. But not with pistols of course. Everything they handle is NOT X-rayed or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.