1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shipping a gun barrel to canada?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Is there any difficulty in sending a gun barrel from the US (NY) to canada?

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I sent one last year. No problem as long as a receiver doesn't change hands.

Ed Yanchok

3. Toddy

Toddy Member

I bought 1 from Ed Y and had no problem receiving...

Reg. Todd, East Sooke, BC, Canada

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Pick out what applies... I assume you have an export permit.

Can I bring guns, gun parts and ammunition back to Canada with me after a trip to the U.S.

If you're on a trip to the US and you are legally allowed to possess firearms and/or ammunition as explained above... or you've purchased some gun parts or accessories while on the trip... now you are coming home and want to bring back some of your left over ammunition or the scope you got a great deal on... can you legally do so? The answer is NO. While Canada Customs is only concerned with you declaring your purchases and paying your duties and taxes as required by Canadian law, the United States has very strict Export Controls in place that govern anything to do with firearms, parts, accessories and ammunition.

Almost all of these items (there are a few exceptions) come under the regulations and control of the US State Department and the ITAR (International Trade in Arms Regulations). Many of the items not controlled by State Department are controlled by the Department of Commerce who also requires export permits... so it pretty much has the same end result... almost everything requires an Export Permit in order to comply with US law.

There is no simple list of what is or isn't covered... but most stuff requires export permits. There is an exemption (this applies to State Department controlled items not Department of Commerce) on SOME ITEMS if they have a wholesale value of less than $100 USD, but many items no longer qualify for this exemption (example: Magazines, magazine parts, trigger parts, barrels, etc. no longer qualify for the $100 exemption). I have seen where a $0.50 trigger component is deemed a necessary component of the operation of the firearm and therefore required an Export Permit.

Department of Commerce is the agency generally in charge of US Exports... however, most items relating to firearms export (the exception is non-combat shotguns with barrels over 18") are in fact controlled by the US State Department.

U.S. State Department. If you want to know what can or can't be Exported from the US without an Export Permit and what items qualify for the $100 USD exemption then this is the ONLY government agency that can truly answer the question (the only one that matters anyway). Anyone who wants to permanently export firearms or related items from the US must apply for and receive an export permit from State Department. If you have questions go to their website or contact them: http://pmdtc.org/

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

turns out the guy is going to meet me in NY when he's passing through, so i'll let him deal w/ whatever customs issues there are when he goes back to canada

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
rifle barrel shipments to canada

shipping pistol barrel to canada