1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping a firearm

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

No, just take it to the Post office. Notify the clerk it is a shotgun. They are not to mark the package anywhere that it contains a gun. I always take a copy of the FFL in case I get a nervous clerk. Bulge

2. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

my post office asks for and I give them a copy of the FFL its going to,,
    never had a problem,,,,

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Buldge is right on, just take one with you, they wont ask but some clerks are undecided and may give you sh--. They have a copy of what they can and cannot ship on display, just point to it.

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Why would you have a copy of an FFL ? A private Citizen can ship HIS firearm to a Licensed dealer or Manufacturer at any time . No FFL needed on .

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

If he is selling it. He cannot ship it directly to the buyer. It has to be seent to an FFL holder. Coming in from out of state the gun will have to be registered. Enter the FFL holder. You can ship parts anywhere but the rules change when there is a receiver involved. Bulge

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have shipped a lot of guns through USPS. They ask you if there is anything in the package that is hazardous, flammable, perishable, etc. You say "No". Simple as that. As stated do not address the package that points to the fact there is a gun inside. (against USPS rules). i.e. I recently sent a gun to Skeet's Gun Shop. I addressed it to Skeets; period. I needed to leave off the "Gun Shop" when sending it. If selling the gun it needs to be sent to an FFL. If you send it out for repair it can be shipped and returned without any paperwork. Ed

7. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

It would be my opinion that as you had to go through an FFL, (on your end) to purchase the gun. If you opt not to take the gun; the process would be reversed. You would have your FFL ship the gun back to his FFL. Yes and you would lose the shipping costs both ways; unless you had an agreement with him to pay for the return shipping. I might add that you probably could ship the gun yourself to his FFL if you have a copy of his FFL license. But in this case I think it's better to have it go FFL to FFL. Ed

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

USPS is very adequate for shipping guns. Just no pistols unless you are an FBI agent or a correctional officer(don't ask me why).

Go to Potosky's site and download the USPS regs, bring it when you go to send the gun. I have had some clerks not know the regs, once they opened the package to be sure it was unloaded.

HM

9. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

USPS will ship private citizen to private citizen with no problem. Long guns not handguns.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Private citizen to private citizen is only legal within the state, or in certain cases in contiguous states.

An FFL usually has to receive an out of state firearm.

HM

11. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Michigan and Florida are not contigous but I shipped my o/u for the Dixie Grand. No hastle, no questions and reasonable insurance. USPS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.