1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping a barrel ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 635 G, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I'm planning on shipping a barrel out to have a deflector put on it, what is the best way to protect the barrel, its a30" barrel off a 391 Beretta? Going to make my old gun a doubles gun.

Lou

2. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

Go to the hardware store and get a 36" piece of PCP pipe and glue one end and screw on the other end. Just remember to pad it well at the ends and sides. You could also get a short gun case and tape it shut.

3. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I've done it twice, first time taught me a valuable lesson, second time was a charm.
    First time I place it in a cardboard tube and taped the ends, not good, came back all beat up. Second time I sent one to Wrights, they told me to buy some 3" PVC pipe and glue on a plastic end cap and heavy tape the other one. Wrap the barrel in bubble wrap for a tight fit, add cushion material to each end. This one came back scared up but contents were untouched.

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Go to the Post Office and get (free) a tringular document box. Take it home and secure the one end as shown in the directions. Put the barrel in the box and get a lot of old newspaper. Start crumbling up the newspaper and build a cushion all the way around the barrel from end to end. Stuff extrs paper in the ends of the box. Take it back to the PO and for $10 it goes out priority with no problems. Just shipped one to Neil Winston that way. Bulge

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Um, Hydra - do you really mean PCP pipe??

PCP (phencyclidine) is a hallucinogenic drug banned in the 50's or 60's.

It was often added to tobacco or marijuana to create a wild high (it is stronger than LSD).

PVC (poly vinyl chloride) is a plastic from which pipe is made...

Where were you in the 1960's???

D

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

PVC tube is the way to go. Just shipped my barrels to proport that way, came back in the same tube, no problems @ all. If I was going to ship my gun, i'd use my americase, why would I want to use something any less durable to ship the barrels.

7. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

IF you are sending it to BRILEY, call them and they will send you a mailing box specifically formed for barrels...works for me..shipped barrels back and forth a couple of times no problems...USPS is OK, Priority Mail, 3 days..LarryB

8. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Why mess with the barrel at all !!!!! Carey closure makes a deflector that attaches right onto the reciever, deflector for doubles dont even go onto the Barrel http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.php?productid=584&cat=1211&page=1

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I already have one of the Carey Deflectors never used it, really don't believe it will be that reliable.

Lou

10. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

well now you know a lot of BS I have sent a hundred or more no problem the foam pipe wrap in 1 in dia. in a triangle USPS box pad the 3 sides with news wads and both ends tape WELL on ends make sure the ring is in the triangle rick

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Yea, yea. I won't take a chance. I've shipped 6 or 7 barrels in 3" diameter Schedule 40 PVC, 35" long containers. Wrap in bubble wrap, insert barrel into PVC pipe, tape the ends closed with duct tape and insert in triangular FedEx document tube. I've never had a problem using FedEx.

12. chuckles

chuckles Member

I have shipped 30 or so barrels in the last couple of years, I use those round cardboard shipping tubes that you buy at the Post Office for $4.00, then bubble wrap and newspaper stuffing... super tape the ends.

Yet to have a problem...

regards

13. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The real question is...what has the best chance of survival if dropped from 10 ft or hit w/ a forklift? If the barrel has value or can't easily be replaced, go the PVC route

14. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Use the PVC pipe - you will sleep better.

15. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

Gary you'll probably sleep better if you use the PCP pipe that was suggested by one earlier poster.

16. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Insure it for more than it's worth is not the answer with UPS. They damaged a gun of mine that was properly packaged according to them and I still had the fight of my life to get some reimbursment. Use the pvc and sleep better.
    Also I shipped a lot of guns before one got damaged. I will not ship anymore unless it is in a hard case and insured for proper value! Bill

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I use the setup from Briley. I have sent my share of barrels and guns without incident. I use my commercial Fed EX account.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Barrelbulge- I have used the free PO triangular boxes several times. They always worked well for me.

Pat Ireland

19. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pat, i've done it that way a few times and as long as you wrap the barrel with some type of packaging material it's no problem. I do insure them also and that is included in the $11 that I pay. Mike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.