1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ship with Insurance, what's better UPS or FedEx?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpr80, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Ship with Insurance, what

I need to send mine in for service with insurance. What's better to use, UPS or FedEx? I heard FedEx insurance is useless and they never pay out. Anyone have experience with getting lost packages paid out via insurance?

Thanks

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have had to threaten to sue UPS on the only two claims I have ever had. I did have to sue them one of those times- they deny every claim it seems.

Fedex pays I have heard every time- your information sounds wrong

So you figure

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Maybe. That's why I'm asking because I figured that you guys ship a ton and would know.

4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

UPS where I live has just gotten silly. A large sign is posted at the counter, that appears to have been written by a 3 yr old with a crayon, says:

ALL packages must remain open for inspection prior to shipping.

I told the lady at the desk I have carefully packed my shipment to prevent damage. She said they would still have to open it for inspection. My reply.."no way". Thanks but I will try somewhere else. Went to Fed-Ex and shipped in 2 minutes with no problems (at a higher price however).

Mark

p.s. In defense of UPS...might be some sort of Homeland Security crap.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Avoid UPS like the plague (which is too bad b/c the guys at my local UPS hub are usually very friendly and helpful when I go there to pick up a package). Fedex or USPS are usually a tossup, I've had good luck with both. Fedex is usually a cheaper unless you send your firearm "Registered", but that takes a little extra legwork in packaging (all seams have to be sealed with brown kraft paper tape, no plastic tape or shiny paper tape).

Marks experience w/ Fedex being more expensive is the first time I've ever heard of fedex costing more than UPS for the same service level and insurance. UPS is ALWAYS the highest cost when I check shipping charges.

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Alright guess FedEx it is. Thanks all.

7. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I would skip both of them & ship USPS Priority mail.

8. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I agree with hunter44, USPS. Check the price of registered mail. Depending on value, it is sometimes cheaper than priority and more secure. Base price is higher but the insurance rate is lower on registered. Registered requires tape that will absorb ink so no plastic tape.

Bob

9. esetter

esetter Active Member

Go USPS Registered mail insured. It is the safest way and also about as cheap as you will find.

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I have used only UPS and have had no problems with them (approx. 60 guns). The only item I received damaged was a scope mounted on a rifle. The person sending the gun put it in a box with no padding on top and shipped it. It even was bulging out the top of the box. Well needless to say it took a hit and broke the back lens housing off the scope at the threads. Had the shipper put in a claim for the value of the scope ($315.00). UPS verified the damage with the FFL holder it was shipped to. Two weeks later the FFL holder called and said he had my check. Done deal.

11. porky

porky TS Member

What is the form number, that the USPS has, that references the regulations for shipping guns thru the mail?

12. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

I checked with my USPS post office on shipping. The maximum insurance they would allow is $5000.00 so I had to ship with another courier - UPS.

Michael Stephenson

Central Indiana

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I believethe max value you can put on an item @USPS is $5000.00 Does anyone know the max insurance that is available from FEDEX?

Phil Berkowitz

14. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I had to open up my package for UPS clerks to verify that my gun was unloaded, when I was shipping a rifle to a FFL a few weeks ago. Before that, they never had requested for me to open up the box for them to inspect prior to shipping it.

15. tbone0813

tbone0813 TS Member

I actually just shipped my gun back to the manufacture last week. I went in to FedEx to ship it and they told me the only way they ship firearms is overnight which with the insurance I wanted would cost me like $163. I took it to UPS and shipped it standard ground fully insured for $37. For me UPS it is.

16. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

Personally I would get a policy from another source such as Sportsman's Insurance Agency. If your gun is expensive you can't buy enough from UPS or FedEx as far as I know to cover it. I use FedEx after having a local mailbox etc. location being taken over by UPS. The lady's attitude toward shipping guns changed overnight once her store name changed and I could not help thinking it could have been a corporate "talking to" she received. I had shipped many guns there before without a hassle until it was a UPS store. I as usual showed her the gun in it's case with barrel removed and she recoiled almost in horror and asked me "is it loaded?" I closed the case and walked out and found a FedEx place down the road and shipped it hassle free.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have shipped guns with both UPS and Fed Ex (Fed Ex is slightly cheaper), insurance is $.90 per hundred on declared amount (never been told there is a limit) ... Fed Ex will tell you it has to go Priority Overnight but you can just tell them no it don't its going from and to and FFL that 4 day ground is fine and they drop that right away ... I always ask the buyer to notify me when they get the package and do the same with Fed Ex and UPS, the buyers only tell me they recieved it when I ask, which I already know from the notification from the carrier ... I always ship from an FFL to an FFL so that might make the difference ... I never had a problem with either tracking system or had to file a claim so that part I do not know about ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

We compared rates on UPS Adn FedEx on a half dozen gun this past few months and the cost was identical to the penny except for the weekly PU fee. Never had a claim.

19. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Just went out via FedEx....keeping my fingers crossed that nothing happens. Was about $20 cheaper than UPS, btw.

20. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

I shipped my KS-5 with the good ole United States Postal Service. Priority mail. Package went form Seattle to Pennsyvania in less than 40 hours from the timw I left the post office until it was delivered in one of the snow strorms back there in December. The price was $15.00 cheaper than UPS and the service was friendlier. Just my 2 cents

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

insuring firearms when using ups

is fedex insurance better than ups

shipping firearm fedex insured

what good is fed ex insurance when they deny claim