1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shingles

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by birdogs, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

In October I went to Lenox Hill Hospital in NYC for a serious back operation. They did a 2 level fusion and released me into the teeth of Hurricane Sandy. Fortunately, I was able to stay ay my daughter's house which did not lose power.However, I did have to get in my car and drive home several times a day to take care of my dogs. Each trip was something of an adventure with downed trees, blocked streets, etc., not to mention the discomfort (pain) associated with the recent back surgery. A couple of weeks into this adventure, I began having excrutiating pain from Neuropathy going down both legs, This finally improved but the pain traveled down to my feet and it became almost impossible to walk.

I went on a long-planned trip thinking that I might not be able to get around and would have to sit in a chair for 10 days. However, after weeks of extreme pain, I took several accupuncture treatments and the neuropathy relented and my feet started to feel pretty good.

By the time I got onto the plane to come home, I felt pretty darned good. I flew home into a severe winter storm and got into my house 2 days later than scheduled.

When I got up after my first night at home, the side of my face was hurting real bad. You won't believe this but I had SHINGLES. Now I am in extreme pain one day and feeling great the next. No one seems to know what triggers the pain outbreaks and I have taken everything the doctores (2) have prescribed. To make an already too long story stort, I am looking for any help I can get in heading off these outbreaks. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

2. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

A guy I work with has the same issue, he was on a Blood Pressure medication, changed his blood pressure meds and it went away. Im no doctor and his case may have been isolated, but he described the same pain symptoms as you. It traveled from one joint to the next almost daily.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

They hurt!!..they will probably put you on prednisone, Gabapentin for the nerve pain and a strong anti-viral antibiotic and oxycodone for pain to get through the rough spots

4. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

There is a vaccine for shingles. Everyone should ask their doctor for the shot. Shingles is painful.

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Received my shot...

6. gus in pa at work

gus in pa at work Member

Shot cost 300+

7. avery53

avery53 Member

((((( A couple of weeks into this adventure, I began having excrutiating pain from Neuropathy going down both legs, This finally improved but the pain traveled down to my feet and it became almost impossible to walk. ))))))

I had the same thing after my back surgery, it was terrible.
    They gave me a medicine called Neurotin (sp), it was like a wonder drug. Pain was gone, I could sleep again, and get back to walking.

Good luck with the shingles!

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I seen a report the other day that Shingles are a common occurrence of people that had the Chicken Pox virus. Maybe related. If that's the case, it is a virus, and all you can really do is try to control the pain.

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

So if you have had the shingles do you still need the shot? I was told yes but some say no because you won't get the shingles again. Which I also heard is false.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Hi Avery..the drug you got was Neurontin..which is the generic name for the stuff I was given under the brand name of Gabapentin...and ues it was a real life saver as I had shingles about a year ago and the pain is absolutely terrible so I understand you brother!!

11. STOS

STOS Member

After reading some of the prior posts on here about the shingles virus i went to my va clinic on got the shot.Hope it will work.

12. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I just found out my insurance will cover 100% of the shot. I guess I'll be heading for the doc's office.

13. ramen39

ramen39 Member

I had the shot and still got them. They said it wouldn't be as bad and I had it in my eye. Drs. gave me some medicine and I haven't had any troble since. My outbreak happened about A year ago.

Roy A.

14. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: shingles do you still need the shot

From what I've read, yes, but up for debate. May not prevent 100% but will lesson the severity if it does recur. I'm aware of two people who got the shot after the shingles went away.

Also, you can catch the chicken pox from someone just starting to show the signs of Shingles. They can't pass on shingles to you, but the pox, yes.

RE: Shot cost 300+

I think I paid $165. Walmart Pharm and a other stores are now offering the shot, may be cheaper.

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I got the shot, my insurance paid for it 100% ... Walgreens ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I saw an item on the news about this last night, and they said the shot isn't 100% effective, you MAY still get shingles. The shot decreases in effectiveness with time, and only lasts 5 years, so you will need another shot 5 years after the first one. The item gave a breakdown of the odds of getting shingles, by age, and it increases with age. If you are 80 years old, you have less than a 20% chance of not getting shingles, 70 years - 30%, etc. This is only if you had chicken pox already in your life, as shingles is apparently a reactivation of a dormant chicken pox virus you are already carrying.

17. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

The cost of the shot is dependent on your particular insurance company and who administers the injection. My doctor told me she could give me a shot and it would cost $150 or she could give me a prescription and the pharmacy could do it for $50.

Shingles is a form of herpes virus. Others include chicken pox, genital herpes and oral herpes also known as cold sores. It is highly contagious.

The vaccine is very effective and even if you've had shingles in the past you can get them again. Get a good case of shingles and you'll gladly pay $300 or whatever to avoid having them again.

18. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I got my shot. Cost was 200 which was repaid by my ins.(shop around for a better price).
    But then I was told you need to renew the shot, I think they said 5 years. Is that true?

19. LFT687

LFT687 Member

My insurance covers the shot. I checked with my Dr. to see if I should get it. Don't really know if I had chicken pox as a kid. She told me that they do not stock the vaccine due to the cost, but would order it if I wanted it, but said that based on my age, 57, and health, diabetes, I was not at risk.

Aside from the occaisional Dewar's White Label I try to avoid putting anything unnecessary into my body.

20. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Get the shot!! Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.