1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by powertrader, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powertrader

powertrader TS Member

I am sure this topic has been well covered. Myself and two sons have recently started shooting trap, and skeet on weekends. We have been hunters over the years, but are really getting hooked on sport shooting, Over the weekend we shot over a case of shells, and would have shot more , but didnt have any more ammo. We are paying around $6o a case,. we have sent or application in to join the local club, and can see that our new-expanded hobby is going to be fairly expensive, What tips, do you guys have.

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Assuming you are only talking about ammunition ...

You may want to look into reloading. The prices on shells and components to reload go up and down during the course of the year at different times. Shells are currently cheaper than many folks can buy the equivalent components to reload.

Folks that live in the same area as you can point you in the right direction. Bill Malcolm

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Buying in volume will help your costs but not that much. I get in on 100(+) flat group orders but our cost is still $54 per flat for Top Gun or Estate ammo.

Reloading use to to be the way to save big money on shotshells but not so much any more - particularly if you have to invest in the equipment to get going. There will be many guys that will post the insanely low costs that they are reloading for but they usually have hoarded a liftime supply of components bought when prices were a lot lower. Realistically if you pay current component prices reloading will cost around $50 per flat and maybe more if you get your supplies at a retail store. Not much of an incentive these days.

So the tip is - this sport isn't exactly cheap but what price should you put on spending quality time with your sons? What else could you do for less money but similar fun level?

5. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

buy shells that you can sell the hulls to reloaders. That way you can recoup some of your costs. For practice and casual shooting, Remington gun club shells are great. For competition,Win AA and Remington STS/Nitro hulls seem to attract the most buyers. I have no idea what the price reloaders pay for Federal hulls.

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I can still reload premium shells (Remington) with factory components cheaper than buying new low cost shells. Also my reloads are exactly what I want in speed and pellet size. I enjoy reloading shotgun shells and am just getting into reloading rifle cartridges also.

Shooting and reloading are like every other hobby, the time and money spent is regulated by how involved you want be in the sport. The are a lot of people with $15,000 guns shooting the cheapest ammo they can scrounge up and people with entry level trap guns shooting premium shells. Some people would never reload a shell and others shoot trap so they have something to reload. Well maybe not to that extreme but you get my drift. lol

Bill

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Reloading can be part of your enjoyment with your sons if time permits, just remember if they are teens now time is getting shorter FAST remember those things called girls and cars????? At current prices for components you can reload for around $4.00 a box which is better than $6.00 if you buy in larger quantities, ask around the club where you shoot maybe you can get a group together & buy in even larger quantities. This is a wonderful sport that the entire family can enjoy. The re-loader you buy need not be expensive, a simple single stage will load just as good quality shell as a high dollar one or new shells they are just slower, most single stage machines will put out 100+ shells per hour. Right now the preferred hull to re-load seems to be Remington STS & Gun Club next would be Fed. Gold Medal, but even the promotional stuff will usually be re-loadable once or twice, getting started (inventory) can be a little daunting until you settle on 1 brand of hulls and load. I load a 7\8oz. load with PROMO powder--Clay Buster wads the least expensive American primers I can find, and have less than $4.00 per box not allowing anything for time or hulls. Ross Puls

PS if you want to talk more--questions etc. PM me your Phone # and a good time to call & I will try to help..

8. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Right now you can get Federal Pink Hull 2 3/4 dram # 8's delivered to your door for 49.99 a flat from Cabelas

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Ammunition/Shotgun-Ammunition%7C/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104567580/Federal-12-gauge-Top-Gun-Pink-Target-Loads/1188669.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-ammunition-shotgun-ammunition%2F_%2FN-1100191%2B4294751476%2FNe-4294751476%2FNo-48%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104567580%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104691780%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNP&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104691780%3Bcat104567580

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.