1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shells @ the Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by daddiooo, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

The EC voted last night to require NEW shells, purchased at a your discretion/location for all 9 handicap events. Reloads may be used for all other events. Entry fees will be raised by $1 for the 2010 Grand. They are working on ground rules that will be published at a later date.

Thank you for some common sense ruling.

2. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Daddy,

I hope this is accurate information.

I don't think anyone should have a hard time with this decision. To the fairness of the masses and to the fairness of competition for the $100k.

I would like to thank the Martins for their generosity.

However.... We will shoot new shells at all events we participate in this year should my schedule work out and my son and I be able to attend.

SW

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

That almost makes too much sense. Good to hear though. Maybe we're not the only ones reading this site. Come on, August!

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Great decision EC!!! Cooler heads always prevail over hasty knee jerk decisions, thank you! Much easier on the AIM kids too!!

Hap

5. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

This info was sent to me by an EC member notifying us of the results of last nites vote. The new shell requirement for the handicap events was necessary to receive the $100,000 grant for the 2010 Grand. I for one am pleased with their decision.

Also, THANK YOU Martin family for your most generous donation to our sport.

Dave

6. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Well I'm glad everyone freaked out over nothing the last couple weeks then.

Amazing how without any official word all the accusations, etc. that can be made.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I was told that this is in fact what was decided last night during the teleconference meeting, by someone who would know ... The big plus is the new shells can be purchased at a retailer of your choice also and not limited to being bought on the grounds ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Talk about? Oh, I don't know...maybe about you still have to shoot new shells to compete for the $100,000. Isn' that when all the complaints started?

Mark

9. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Lets see if we can make the weather fair for all shooters. Windy=20yds. Calm=27
    Cloudy=young eyes. Hot=southern shooters etc. Can't have that, must be fair for everybody or i'm not going.

10. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Some very good news. I would just like to add that I hope the ATA makes a real effort to enforce the ammo rules throughout the Grand with so much on the line.

11. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

RLC323

Honestly, I wish they would have never left the mandatory shell rule the Grand had for as long as I can remember. It was accepted year after year and shooters had plenty of time to plan for it. Gouging was always an issue and it did keep some from attending, but again, it was accepted by the vast majority of shooters.

You hit the nail on the head with your comment about the ATA enforcing the Ammunition rules. Now that you can bring your own new shells, there will be more cheating going on than ever before. Some factory legal trap ammunition is as far from legal as you can get. If you have ever spent much time weighing shot charges from factory shells, you would see what I mean.

I have got new factory Remington ammo that has 8 marked on the box and 8 on each individual shell as it should be, but they really have 6's in them. Maybe I should save these for a windy day!

If you or anyone else thinks the ATA should closely govern the shell rule, then new shells from only one manufacturer assembled especially for the Grand should be allowed on the grounds.

Mark Rounds

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Mark Rounds,

I don't know for sure if you know what you are saying but if you are right about the shot being #6's in some factory ammo that are marked #8's and you know which ones they are you have an advantage ... Care to share the information that you have if its been verified ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

WPT

Yes I know which ones they are...every shell in the box! I have really had no reason to get them verified by an outside source. I discovered the discrepancy through my normal process of examination of new factory trap ammunition.

P.S. I don't know if shooting 6's is an advantage or not. It seems to me that shooting less shot would be a disadvantage. But 6's is a direct violation of ATA rules no matter the weight.

Mark

14. EE

EE Banned User Banned

handlepuller, there WAS official word of the requirement to purchase new shells, from the ATA, for all events at the Grand. The Executive Director posted that very statement right here. I bet you read it.

I think the vote last night, if what daddioo has posted is accurate, is a good solution.

EE

15. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

See link above.

16. handlepuller

I did read it EE but it was announced in February and I felt that that was early enough to possibly change.

I always felt that until I see it printed in the program it's still kind of heresay.

Same for this ruling. I believe what you guys are saying but I think the program or webpage would carry forth as the "official" rule.

17. handlepuller

Great V10, it's on the webpage so I'd say that is as official as it can get.

I think this is a great solution and great news.

18. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Capt Rick

What has changed? The EC supported Rivel'y statement and followed the donor's request. You have to shoot new shells to participate. You might save a few bucks from inflated shell prices from the ATA, but all that was speculation. But tell me what has changed that caused all the uproar to start with...which by the way was the use of new shells to be able to compete for the prize.

Mark

19. Hauser

Hauser Member

Mark

The original announcement required new shells for all events.

Jerry Hauser

20. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Jerry

No disrespect of course, but Rively's statement and what was posted on the ATA's official web site said nothing about "all" events. It specifically stated that to "qualify" for the prize shooters had to shoot new shells. As this thread and other threads progressed, it was assumed by some that it was to include all events which was pure speculation.

You, it appears, along with many others have been fallen to a lack of understanding from creative writing. In other words, they achieved their goal and made you praise them for it.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.