1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shells that will not fire

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Sep 20, 2013.

1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

I was shooting today. One of the guys had a new box of Winchester AA shotgun shells. During the round, he had three shells that would not fire. There was a dimple in the primer's but the shells did not fire. These were not reloads but new, factory shells. I have never seen new factory shells that did not fire.

On the second round he again used a new box of Winchester AA and all 25 fired.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Could this be a problem with his gun?

2. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Probably depends on the size of the "dimple", but regardless, if you fault the ammo then contact Winchester thru their web site, fill out the form, and someone will contact you within a couple of days. In my case they sent a UPS Mailer envelope to return the shells in, then gave me credit for a box of shells.
    dju

3. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

A dimple isn`t a dent. Sometimes you have to take off the stock and oil the internals. But only sometimes.

4. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

By the way,what kind of gun was he shooting?

5. himark

himark Well-Known Member

put them in another gun and try them before saying THEY are faulty. I would guess its his gun.

6. tomc66

tomc66 Member

himark: Read my thread,I never said it was the fault of the shells. Just exploring what happened.

At the end of our shoot, one guy did try to shoot the three shells in his gun. They did not fire.

7. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Primer may have been set too low. Primer may be bad. Luck of the draw!!

The fact that another shotgun also did not fire these shells is a good indication that one of the above is true.

YES Sending back with the original box with lot numbers is a good option!!

Not everything is perfect! When I am given non-firing shells they get cut open and the shot re-used.

8. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

Had 1 AA in 15 years not fire in my 682. My K-80 did not like gun clubs, 2 or 3 a round. I contacted Remington and they said it was the gun. They would not shoot out of my Browning Gold or my XT. No remedy from Remington. I went to federal cheapies and no problems. I do reload gun clubs and I have not had any problems. If the AA's were faulty. Winchester should replace them. Al Baker

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Over the years I've had AA's, Rems and Feds that wouldn't fire. A couple did after a second try but a few just weren't in the mood....I had a new Remington not fire at a Montana State shoot in Helena and the Remington Rep, Wayne Spring gave me a new box. OK deal from a nice guy.

Ron Burr

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

All brands have all kinds of problems from time to time. I also believe that quality control is lower than in the past.

11. Full N. Fuller

Full N. Fuller Member

Usually it is a broken or dirty firing pin, but if the will not fire in another gun, then 9 times out of 10 the machine got out of adjustment and set the primers too deep.

You will get to where you can feel the primers and know if they are goong to cause problems.

Search tags for this page

shotgun does not fire shell