1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shells snug in chamber

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike K P, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I have a 16 gauge model 12 which I shoot reloads in. This morning when cleaning I noticed a lot of brass filings in the receiver. I have noticed that when I tip the muzzle down the shell won't just drop into the chamber when they reach the brass. If I push them in by hand it's a little snug, I hadn't thought much about it until I saw the filings. I'm using Fiocchi hulls that I buy new and reload on a Mec 600 single stage. The hulls are never used in another gun so there is no issue with different chamber sizes. Should I buy a re sizer? I assume they are to factory specs when I buy them new. Any ideas? Thanks, Mike Pracht.

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

You may have "metal" filings in the chamber, but I don't think they are brass.

The solution to your "filings" problem, IMO, is to resize the brass when reloading them. Or, you might need to polish the chamber of the gun.

Easystreet

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

It could be the ejector cut-out in the barrel is tweaked in toward the chamber too shaving the brass? Pull the barrel off and take a look at that cut area. Measuring it top to bottom and side to side will tell you whether or not it's tweaked a tad. A bent extractor can cause this problem.

Hap

4. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Sorry, When I said brass I meant the metal from the base of the shell. I've just always called it brass. Thanks for the info. Mike.

5. Strait Shooter

Strait Shooter Member

You might try dropping a new shell in the chamber. If there is any difference, sounds like you need an adjustment on your reizer

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Take a look at the brass on a chambered shel, you should be able to see what's causing the problem. HMB

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Steel base shell will have a tendency to do that. Maybe a bit better steel base like a Gun Club or the Federal Targets will work out for you better.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mike- Steel heads will be larger after they are fired than new steel heads. Brass expands and then contracts after shooting. Steel expands but does not contract nearly as much as brass. A good resizer should solve your problem unless it is an extractor hanging on the heads as Hap described.

Pat Ireland

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have an old MEC 600 single stage loader and it has a resizer just like the MEC Supersizer and not like the collet resizer on a Grabber. Steel base shells do not eject properly in my Winchester Model 50 and there is No Way I'm messin with the chamber on that gun.

10. mjsweims

mjsweims Member

Try using Cheddite low base hulls. I had similar issues with the Fiocchis in my old 16ga SXS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

brass expands after shooting