1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shells from Mexico ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slide action, Apr 21, 2017.

1. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I see there was an article and also an advertisement in "Trapshooting USA" about target shotgun shells from Mexico "Aguila" I think. I am a free market believer but ,wonder how much pressure this will put on US shell manufactures,that are already feeling great economic pressure from the foreign shell market? It already seems to be a rare thing to see somebody shooting American shells in an American gun!

2. 25-straight

25-straight Member

Guess it depends on the cost breakdown of a shell. There are 4 cost types which are 1) material 2) labor 3) depreciation of equipment and 4) shipping/logistics costs.

Labor will be cheaper in Mexico for sure but the other costs probably won't . It's certainly not cheaper in Europe compared to the US so I'm not sure how we can get Euro Trash shells at cheap prices.

American guns with American shells is another discussion since European shotguns beat out the American ones... Kreighoff, perazzi, blaser etc.

3. mg1polo

mg1polo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Last time I checked KOLAR was Made In The USA. In my opinion it doesn't hold
    second fiddle to any of the fine Euro guns. As good or better than all of e'm!
    MG

spitter and baron von thanked this.
  4. 25-straight

25-straight Member

Agree on that.

spitter and baron von thanked this.
  5. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Silver Seitz - 100% American

shootgood thanked this.
  6. DustyOne60

DustyOne60 Active Member

Typical manufacturing portion of finished goods associated to labor is approximately 7%. Often times you can offset the difference between USA and foreign labor factors via tighter inventory control, efficiencies etc. A USA company moving manufacturing to Mexico for instance, will incur additional training costs as well other start factors.

Well managed entities can succeed in either scenario.

Cheers, Dusty

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Aguila has been selling 22 ammo here for a while, even some target bullets. Some guys like them and they are cheaper than USA made (CCI, Federal) and a bunch cheaper than Lapua or Eley out of Europe. Wait till China or India starts exporting shells to the USA, prices may really drop.

8. xttrapshoter

xttrapshoter Active Member

Is this the same company that makes the Match Rifle/Pistol Ammunition? Home | Aguila Ammunition
    Nice to see you back, MG!

mg1polo thanked this.
  9. henrydog

henrydog Active Member

Couple of years ago in the ammo crunch I bought some Aguila .22...they did not feed well in my 10/22. And instead of going bang when they did feed, the barrel yelled "Yareeba"

ganger, baron von and Pull & Mark thanked this.
  10. xttrapshoter

xttrapshoter Active Member

LMAO

spitter thanked this.
  11. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Aguila is popular with the trapshooters here in California

12. henrydog

henrydog Active Member

Poacherjoe, what do you think of them, what are they comparable to?

13. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Aguila metallic ammo increased in sales in the USA during the ammo shortage/panic buying of a few years back. It is not something new for many pistol and rifle shooters. Correctly stated, this ammo is also made in America. The North America continent composes of Canada. USA, Mexico and some island nations. If you want to be specific say made in the USA.

14. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

They are priced right and they shoot just as good as AA's.. They hit the target just as hard as AA or Federal. As I recall the wad is a Figure 8 .Wide variety of loads available. One of the top shooter's at the 2016 PITA grand pacific was shooting them.

henrydog thanked this.
  15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Yes

16. rickster308

rickster308 Member

I have tested Aguila .22 rimfire target ammo in my higher end target rifles and I found it shot good, but not great. A couple of years ago I did some extensive testing .22 target ammo in several rifles. You have to match the ammo to rifle or pistol since you do not have the ability to adjust the load. I tested approximately over a dozen brands/configurations. It was not the best for the primary rifle (Anshutz) I was testing but it was solidly in the middle of the pack. The groups where consistent with the others and there where no fliers, which indicates good quality control. Interestingly the ammo that worked the best across all of my rifles was Federal Gold Medal Match, but unfortunately it can be difficult to get and expensive, so I use SK and Norma TAC. So I wouldn't be concerned about using their shotgun ammo if the price is competitive.

17. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

The other manufacturing expense is related to environmental regulations. Mexico, Brazil and India are the centers of "unregulated" (as in bribery driven) lead battery recycling, and the kids are paying a terrible price
    America's old batteries are poisoning Mexicans

The largest producer of mined lead is of course China, with enormous environmental and human (mostly children) consequences
    Lead poisoning in China: A health and human rights crisis | Health and Human Rights Journal

To be clear, lead is not the evil; it is the corruption which allows the unregulated production and recycling of lead.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    ShotStop thanked this.
  18. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Buy American. Leave the foreign junk alone!! Just that simple.

19. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

henrydog and WadHopper thanked this.
  20. henrydog

henrydog Active Member

Oh Thank you Flashmax. My grandpa who got me into trap used to sit in his pajama's with a pack of cigarettes and cup of coffee every Saturday and watch Looney Tunes. After that his day could begin.