1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shells for the Grand

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by HHS, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HHS

HHS TS Member

I'm planning on shooting the Grand this year for the first time.
    I'm a 95 avg. 16yd. shooter using my 1 oz. reloads and feel I'll stick with them.
    My HC is 22 yds and I've been shooting 3dram #8 Estates. My scores have been in the mid to low 90's
    Question, would moving up to more quality shell like a Remington STS or AA Handicap give me a bird or two? I'm planning on only shooting two 100 bird HC events and feel spending a few extra bucks won't break the bank. Is this logic or just hype?

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Have you thought of or tried using the same shells on the 22yd line as the 16yd line?

Give it a try ... you might be surprised at the results.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

HHS....Just by asking the question on here you have answered your own question. You are doubting the ability of your Estates over the Remington's or the Federal's. You have that nagging thing in the back of your mind, like all trapshooters do, that, maybe, just maybe, you will do a little better with a "higher quality" shell. The ONLY WAY to get rid of that feeling is to buy the better shells. Now that you have it in your mind, it will bug you right up until the moment you are ready to go to the Grand. If you really want peace of mind, knowing you are shooting the "best of the best", buy Remington Nitro27 3dr. 71/2's. Only then will you know, FOR CERTAIN, that you have the best. For what it's worth, your 3dr. 8 Estates are more than adequate for the 22yd. handicap, but, your mind is not going to let go of the thought, so give in and buy a flat of Nitro's and quit worrying about it....Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

They might give you more confidence just because they are a premium shell, but other than that they probably won't do much. I have shot all kinds of different shells and although they pattern better, I can not tell the difference between premium and promo shells. I actually prefer to shoot RIO's over STS's as I seem to shoot better with them most of the time, but thats probably just mental.

5. shoot'er

shoot'er TS Member

THey seemed to help me. But make sure you get 1 1/8 because w/ 1 once your shorting your self pellets. Even on 16's use 1 1/8 once you say your at 95, well play around w/ the 1 1/8 maybe you'll gain more targets there also!

J.D.

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

You can reload to the same Specs as STS's and see if it makes a difference without spending the money for factory STS's.

If you do not have confidence in your reloads, buy factory shells.

You don't want that nagging doubt creeping in after running the first 95 and waiting "for the sky to fall".

Don

7. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Buy the STSs...the first couple of responses to your question said it best. By buying the STSs, you put that question out of your thoughts. Get the better shells, focus on breaking the targets, and save your empties. You will be glad you did. Best Regards, Ed

8. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Dan, excellent answer!

9. debateableone

debateableone TS Member

IF you really want to break them, get Federal Paper Handicap loads 7.5 or 8.0
    also very good are Winchester Super Handicaps. Remove all doubt, break-em all.

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Shoot light 8 premium shells if you are shooting anything but a full choke. If it's full, 7 1/2 will be fine too, but 8's better.

Neil

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The ATA has opened the door and is allowing reloads to be used in the biggest and most lucrative trapshoot in the United States ... To eliminate problems and insure fairness, when anyone wins the Grand American Handicap the ATA should confiscate one of that shooters shells and weigh it out to make sure it is legal ... When bowling in a tournamemt if we win top honors we have to give up the bowling ball we used to have it weighed to make sure its within legal specs ... When I was Drag racing after running in the finals and winning we had to proceed to the scales for a fuel and weight check ... Not that anyone would knowingly cheat but something of this nature might eliminate that possibility even more, until they go back to madatory new shells ... Just a thought, and my wife says sometimes I think too much ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.