1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shells at the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Avaldes, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

It just occured to me to ask this, does anyone know if the event provides the shells at the Olympics? Or do the atheletes provide their own? I kind of remember hearing something about the US team having difficulty in China due to the shells. But the details escape me. Thanks.

-Aaron

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Athletes provide their own. US team typically uses Winchester ammo, but I have seen recent pics/video of team members using ammo other then winchester...

I'm guessing its onerous to import your ammo into a non-gun friendly country, and thats where the issue arose.

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

Shells in the UK are not a problem. They have some great ammo that is not available here in the US. Example are the outstanding RC brand that is probably the best trap ammo in the world but is not imported.

Olympic shooters will not have a problem in London like they did in China?

Tom

4. Avaldes

What was the problem in China?

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Understand that some people had to shoot the local junk.

Tom

6. quartering

quartering Active Member

what brand of shell do the chinese shooters shoot in china?

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Lloyd Woodhouse was handing out AAs to his team members in Bejing. I don't know if he had a problem getting it there or not.

8. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Lloyd Woodhouse was handing out AAs to his team members in Bejing. I don't know if he had a problem getting it there or not.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

quartering,

I think they shoot a Chinese brand named <i>Jialing</i>.

I have seen spent hulls around here in South Africa, but have never shot them.

10. Avaldes

So was the story about the US team not having proper ammo an internet rumor?

11. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

A number of years ago we saw Jai-Ling imported here in the L.A. area. They shot very well and were inexpensive so got a good try then disappeared from the scene. The shot looked like polished ball bearings and the components appeared to be Italian?

Chuck

12. Baber

Baber TS Member

No it was theAustrilian team that could not get their RC ammo through customs and had to shoot the local junk.

T

13. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I actually have one empty Jialing hull that I found on a trail near my house. Must have been someone's gun show purchase. I always wondered why we don't see chinese non-military ammo on the market, since we see chinese everything else...

14. quartering

quartering Active Member

that's what i wonder too. look at everything made in china in a walmart, home depot or academy sports. seems like chinese made ammo would cut costs and increase profits for retailers just like all the other chinese made stuff. on the other hand, who wants chinese production to regulate the flow of ammunition into our country? i guess i'd rather pay the premium on domestic ammo and components and know that it'll be there whenever i need to buy it

15. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Does anyone know if any of the Olympic shells or boxes are marked as such like the shells are for the Grand?

16. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Up for my question.

17. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

I don't know if they still are, but they were. I have a box of Federal Papers specially marked for the '96 Atlanta Games.

J.F. Wolfington

Philadelphia, PA

18. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

There was a bit of a problem with the Aussie team ammo at the olympics in Beijing, but there is always issues. Even when the world cup was in Sydney there were people driving around like mad to local gun shops for ammo.

Our team does not have one single ammo sponsor, it's up to individual sponsors to provide the ammo.

, I know Russel Mark will be using RC4 champion excellence shells, as will his wife Lauren in the women's skeet. Michael Diamond will use Fiocchi, Adam Vella uses B&P

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Here's a photo of some spent Jialing 24 gram hulls.
    timb99_2008_030369.jpg

20. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

They are absolute crap! We had them here for a while for $50 a flat, and they werent worth that.

Susceptible to heat and cold like you wouldn't believe, 120fps variation in a standard box. We pulled some from the back of my pickup under a black cover in the sun and shot them, they were blowing the primers out the back of the shells so bad my buddy's gun wouldn't open?!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ammo used by skeet olympics team

skeet shells rio olympics