1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shells at the Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by md-11, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. md-11

md-11 TS Member

Hi All,

I will be making my first trip to the Grand this year and have a few questions on the new shells there. Is it cheaper to buy new shells there at the Grand or bring them with you? Are there a good selection of types of shells to purchase there? I prefer to shoot Rem. STS 1 oz. 8 1/2's, my 13 yr. old son is fond of Federals at this particular time, seeing how at the WA. State shoot on sat. in the Ch. Singles he ran the last 3 houses for 75 straight and on sun. in the second half of the same event he ran all 100 straight taking the Sub Jr. Singles Championship ( he will get to shoot in the Champion of Champions event at the Grand ) using the Federal Premium shells donated to all the youth shooters for the Championship event. He shoots the 1 oz. loads as well. Thanks,

Jeff Daigneau

2. Shawn

Shawn Member

Jeff
    A good selection of shells at the Grand. Winchester, Federal and Remington. Last year and the year before shells were about $73.00 and Winchester paid the rebate in cash on the grounds ie buy 5 flats get $100.00 cash. I am not sure if the others paid the rebate in person or not.

Shawn

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Gamaliel will have a selection of Winchester, Federal, Estate, and Remington shells and the price will be comparable to retail.

One advantage to buying on-site is that you can often then just take your receipt to the respective shell manufacturer's store and get their rebate.

I'd advise you to buy all of your shells at one time, if you can, as they do run out of the popular ones near the end of the Grand.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Gamaliels is on site, and there is the always popular WalMart right down town for any and all your other needs as well as shells if they run out ... Thanks for your support ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Last year Remington and Winchester paid the rebate on the grounds. No word yet this year if they will. It was so popular I would expect that they would continue to pay on site.

6. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I think that bringing shells with you is going to cost less than buying at the shellhouse or at the Sparta Walmart. But not by much. Last year, I bought STS shells at the shell house and walked down the block to Remington and got my rebate which made the premium shells cost just a bit more than estates or rios.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Gamaliel was selling shells at a shoot at Sparta last week for $75/flat for STS and AA's. They are currently $70/flat at Sparta Wal Mart for the same. I doubt you'll find STS or AA's much cheaper than that right now anywhere.

8. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

I haven't bought shells at the Sparta Wal-Mart for a few years, but I believe they still require out-of-state shooters to show their ATA card at the time of purchase.

So, if you go to the Sparta Wal-Mart, take your ATA card in with you.

9. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

Yes the Wal-Mart does require either an ATA card or a Foid card if you are from Illinois. Wal-Mart will have a semi truck load of shells (or more).

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The shells at the Sparta Wal-Mart must also be paid for at the Sporting Goods counter. It actually saves you time instead of waiting in line up front behind the grocery buyers. You can pay for the rest of your stuff in back as well.

11. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I like to support Gamaliel if their price is not a lot more than Wally world. It is handy having them on the grounds, and they wheeled my flats right out to the truck and helped me load them. Good, friendly, service.

Best of all I did not have to wait for the help to finish up mixing a gallon of paint at WalMart to check out my shells back in sporting goods.

12. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Wal-Mart will have a ton of Remington, Winchester and AA
    on the floor. Last year, they had the lowest prices.

13. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Gamaliel has always had a great selection, competitive price, and amazing service. In years past you could buy a specified number of flats and be entered in a drawing for a years supply of shells. In the past, most rebates could be redeemed on the grounds from a Gamaliel purchase. Gamaliel sponsors shooting and Wal-mart does not sponsor a single event at our Grand. My money goes to Gamaliel and I by all of my shells for the entire program. You can contact Gamaliel to check on the specific shell you require. If they don't have one of the major brands in the specific load, I would be surprised.
    So far I have been able to avoid going into Wal-mart for 2.5 years...hope to make it a lifetime.
    See ya soon,
    CA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.