1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shell Velocity

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by phirel, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

Why does the velocity vary +-30 ft/sec in a box of identical hulls loaded with exactly the same components?

Pat Ireland

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The shells all have the same velocity, it's the cronograph that's screwed up. HMB

3. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

HMB, what could you possibly base that assumption on? Post-2

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Devine guidance. HMB

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Pat:

The logical answer is that the hulls, components and loading processes are not "identical". There is, I am sure, some allowable level of tolerance in the various manufacturing and assembly processes.

Even you have remarked that the trees that Alliant uses to produce cellulose are not all "exactly" the same.

How many things in life are "exactly" identical? Are all hydrogen atoms "exactly" the same? Does every electron have "exactly" the same negative charge.

I remember reading years ago about one of the top shooters obtaining all of his ammo from a specific Remington loading machine. This was in Shotgun Sports as I recall and the article included a picture of the top shooter standing next to the machine.

Ed Ward

6. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Do new shells from the same box chronograph exactly the same? I doubt it. Does the barrel temperature never vary?? I doubt that also.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

And don't forget to allow for the gravitation pull of the Moon. HMB

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I read that it's the primers. The author, a certified expert of a bygone era, said that when primers had fulminate of mercury consistency was much easier to attain. He said now that the Hg is gone, it's impossible to keep shots going the same speed like you used to be able to. This was by a guy who really, really did know what he was talking about.

Neil

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Pat Ireland SAAMI has tolerances of + or - 90 fps now that is a spread, take a New AA Super Hdcp + 90 fps and 1340 fps is legal.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I wish you would quit writing that, Gary, You _know_ it's not true and still you repeat it endlessly. Why?

Neil

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gary- It seems as if the ATA has tighter tolerances than SAAMI.
    Neil- Primers-- it certainly is possible but that suggestion is something I do not know how to confirm. How consistently can the wad skirt contain 9,000 pounds of pressure?

Pat Ireland

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Pat, I don't measure that much variation in the factory shells I shoot (STS). Most often it's a total spread of between 25 and 30fps. The last 1oz batch I tested had an extreme spread of 23fps. I do recall Neil posting a chart showing some loadings from other manufacturers that were worse.

If you cut open 10 Nitro 27s from the same box, and carefully weight all the components, you'll find the powder can vary by 0.1gr and the shot by 10 grains (sometimes more). Wads vary in weight by .2gr. Add in the primer inconsistency Neil just brought up.

Add in wad obturation factor you just brought up. Factor in powder that clings to the hull wall and isn't scaped off when the wad is seated and you have quite a few variables. I used to wonder why there was such a "large" spread. Now I marvel they can keep it so close.

13. shootsome

shootsome Member

What's the max velocity ATA allows?

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

As far as I know the ATA has no velocity testing protocol in place for checking ammo at registered shoots. HMB

15. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Along with the many variables listed above, the varying propellant pressure needed to overcome 'varying' crimps must also come in play.

Rifle shells with the bullet crimped in can vary over 100 fps extreme spread, easily, recorded over an Oehler. Crimping a bullet in a brass casing is a quick way to introduce extreme spreads, because the crimps are seldom consistent, because the cases are seldom consistent.

Factory crimped new rifle shells are the worst. A shotshell will probably share some pressure similarities.

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

To quote Col. Jeff Cooper;

“Shooters, especially competition shooters, are often afflicted with Preoccupation with Inconsequential Increments.”

<;-) BD

17. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

From Wikipedia;

Cooper defined his goal: "... a general-purpose rifle is a conveniently portable, individually operated firearm, capable of striking a single decisive blow, on a live target of up to 200 kilos in weight, at any distance at which the operator can shoot with the precision necessary to place a shot in a vital area of the target."

Maybe Cooper wasn't big on "inconsequential" increments, but research and technology advancements are an important part of competition. It is one of the reasons high end manufacturers, and this web site are so successful.

18. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Pat, you have previously supplied your own answer. Somewhere, a really big magnet is being turned on and off. Depending on the magnet position relative to the shot, this will effect the velocity. Quarks and neutrinos are also being effected.

js

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Neil Winston

Was that authors name you refer to start with Earl? I remember a pretty detailed explanation I read about 40 years ago.

20. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

If shot to shot variation of 35 feet pr second bothers you, then disregard it and start thinking about standard deviation.

SD is usually about 1/3 of the hi and lo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.