1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shell stuck

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I have a live shell stuck in a Ithaca 51 auto.the barrel won't come off and the bolt won't come back.help.

2. mag410

mag410 Active Member

First thing is make the gun "safe".

With the safety on and the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, remove the trigger group.

After that I don't know.

I had a new 51 in the late 70's. I never did figure out how to keep it working. After it spit out the 2nd bolt handle, I drilled a hole in the third and attached a piece of nylon cord and tied it to the rib.

Michael

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If the gun can't be fired I would take out the trigger in the safest manner possible if I could. Then a good sized dowel down the barrel with steady pressure should do the trick.

If it was an 1100 I would have better info.

If you are in doubt at all see a gunsmith.

HM

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

By all means remove the trigger and then work on it ... They are problematic to the point I actually gave one away by letting it in the gun rack as we left the club one dark and gloomy night ... I bought it for my wife and it was nothing but trouble to the point she didn't want to shoot anymore ... I gave her a Model 12, no more problem but she don't shoot anymore any way ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Do as one person said above but put the rod down the barrel and keep your hands and face away from the end. Take a hammer and hit the rod with the barrel as it is pointed away from you. That should loosen the shell.

6. brownk80

brownk80 Member

I would kill the shell with a good shot of Kroil or some other lubricating oil on the primer for a few days before I did anything with it. JMHO

7. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Just take it out in the backyard(if you can where you live),and shoot it.That will take care of the live shell in the chamber.Just a thought.

D.P.Reynolds

8. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

An Ithaca 51, eh?

I know you won't like hearing this but, in the long run, you'll save money by tossing it off a bridge. Just make sure there is a river below and not a railroad train (crew).......

(I'm serious.)

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.