1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shell storage question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dbcook, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

does storing shells in extreme weather differences hurt shells as long as they are kept dry? by this i mean storing in a dry place but very hot & humid in the summer & extreme cold in the winter. thanks dwain

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have thousands of 22lr in my moms basement, many years old shoots through the plinker just fine. if there is any signs of corrosion I will not use. but this is only on some of the oldest ammo also not stored in the heavy miltary gasgeted jugs like the others. cold weather performance is another issue.

3. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i don,t mean in a basement.i,m talking about an outdoor bldg with no heat or air cond. thanks dwain

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I have 12 ga., fed. paper shells my brother got from me in the mid 1970s that he has returned to me to get rid of. All I've fired after their storage in sheds, CA bay area humidity and heat, wine country humidity and heat/cold, and Puget Sound wet & cold and mod. heat for all these years. Those fired all worked just like I expected some 30+ years ago. I'd try your supply of shells and decide if they're OK or not.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. nipper

nipper TS Member

how bout either shoot them, or either store them in the same location all the time

bill

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Storing ammunition in cold and/or warm temperatures does not affect the efficiency of the shells. The temperature of the shells when they are shot will effect the burning rate of the powder.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.