1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shell Speed for better breaks?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DecalDude, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I have been loading shells for myself and the Mrs. and have loaded them down as far as I dare so she doesnt get beat. She does great with them gets 25 all the time off 16yrd line. The older guys who are helpin me said that I am getting better and more consistant,BUT they said the breaks are slow and I need to zip up the shells and my breaks will be better and build more comfidence.
    Input will be appreciated.

Jerry

2. $$90-T$$

$$90-T$$ Member

If your wife is shooting 25's from 16 yds don't change a thing. If you want to try a different load, I found a 1 ounce load doing about 1180 to be a very good load with minamal recoil. Everyone has a favorite load, mine is: Rem hull, Rem 209 primer, Rem tgt12 wad, 16.7 grains of E3 powder, and 1oz #8. I will say this, if your breaking good scores (i.e 25's from 16 )and someone tells you to change your load put your ear plugs back in and walk away.LOL good luck to you. Josh Andersen

3. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Loading for lots of speed will certainly increase recoil......if that's what you are after then listen to the old sages advice, otherwise stay with what you shoot well. By the way just what is a "slow break"?

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Jerry, don't get caught up in the gun club phylosiphy but the would be no it alls at your club. I don't know at what speed you launching the shot charge but assuming above 1100 fs with a designed load, speed won't matter from the 16yd line. There have been past and present All Americans in this sport that achieved some amazing averages shooting what is deemed an Extra Lite load which is approx. 1125 fps from the 27 yd line. It may be that your barrel/choke does not like the load that your wife is breaking her scores with and having nothing to do with speed.

Its a simple game with pattern placement being the key as long as consistent/reliable ignition is obtained.

5. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

slow breaks are breaks that are good but not like smokein em or makeing ink balls

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

09newbie,

Don't get caught up with the whole "choke for smoke" ego thing. If you/wife can break 25's with what you're using, then everything is just fine. I'll take 100 breaks over 99 puff balls any day of the week.

Just like stated above, we ain't gradin' 'em!

ss

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If it's a choice of;

# more pellets vs # more speed? I'll take more pellets. FWIW, 1 oz #8 @ 1180 fps is plenty of both from the 16

John C. Saubak

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

"slow breaks are breaks that are good but not like smokein em or makeing ink balls" That describes a failure of the shooter to point well or the failure of the gun to shoot where you are looking, or way too open a choke. I'm with Pheasantmaster and others - if she can break all those birds, you should be able to as well.....Bob Dodd

9. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I personally would rather load 1 1/8 oz. @ 1100 - 1125 fps than 1 oz @ 1200 fps+.

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

sounds more like a open choke problem.

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

What's wrong with any 25 straight????? I seem to remember someone else wanting CHANGE and look what that is getting us.. if it ain't broke why mess it up??

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Experiment with the shells you shoot. Keep her's separate and don't change them. If you don't have problem with recoil and reload yourself, why not? No reason not to give yourself every advantage. What are we talking here? Going up 1 or 2 bushing sizes or twists on the powder measure? If you're already comfortable with reloading, give it a chance.

13. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I think a different interpretation of "faster speed for better breaks" translates to if your swing is a little lazy the faster payload kinda makes up for it. Wives tale? Maybe there seeing you hit behind the bird. I don't know your set-up or have seen you shoot, just guessing. Yes, 25 is excellent. But chipping your way to a 25 may mean more tweaking somewhere. Keep shooting. Dave T.

14. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Within the range of 1250 to 1100 fps, the difference in velocity at 40 yards will only be about 1/3 what the difference is at the muzzle.

So, if the choice is between 1100 fps and 1250 fps, bear in mind that the difference in velocity at 40 yards will be about 50 fps and not 150 fps. I think we would all be better served with 1100 fps loads than 1250 fps loads, but that is just me.....I ain't no expert

15. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

No she has shot for 28 years with her father but got out of it when he passed away, she missed it. When we started dateing she asked me what I liked to do I said shoot guns and blow sh-t up, and well she said cool me too! We have been happy ever since, unfortunately she sold her gun to pay a bill so she started fresh with another Citori but no counter coil that she was very accustomed to.

recoil for me no problem on target shells I am 6ft 3in 270ish so I may try the next bushing up for a couple boxes she what happens, I am loading at the very low end so a bushing or 2 on the Apex loader should be no threat.

16. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

The recent "Trapshooting USA" magazine has an article indicating the advantage of 1290 - 1350 fps light loads. Comments? Regards, Ed

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The natural progression of a trapshooter is to start simple ( Break the target!) and once it starts working we complicate the issue by worrying about speed and shot size and just about anything else OTHER then the emphasis being on the shooter. We all got the same advice at one time or another and you will as well. If you are happy with your slow shells then by God you shoot them! If you want a lesson and some pointers buy one of the good trapshooting books and take lessons from one of the great shooters that teach. I found that limiting my sources of coaches was very helpful. Good luck! Jeff

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I can miss them with fast or slow shells, so why not opt for a lighter load and not get punished. 1150 is more than enough at the 16 and will do at caps too. If you want, go to a 1200 fps shell for 27 yards or the back fence if you feel the need. Put the shot where it belongs and it should do it's part. There is a smaller difference in velocity as the distance goes longer. I'm looking at some lighter sub-sonic loads right now. The preliminary tests were encouraging.

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

pellet speed and pattern density cna sometimes conflict. But that said, a single pellet doing 100fps faster has significantly greater energy than the lesser. The trick is to keep the pattern the way you want it. Personally, I relaod to 1180 for singles, and 1230 plus for handicap. And I reload because I cna get the above.

20. willing

willing Member

Shoot at some paper and see what your shell and choke selection look like. Try a few chokes. And not just one shot with a choke. More like 5-10.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.