1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shell resizing,what Diameter?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chugiakshooter, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

What diameter is a resized shell supposed to be? The ones I have are right at .805 to.806 and they seem to have problems in a 1100.Do they have to be smaller? They work fine in my O/U of course you don't have to push them in at all.

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Measure a new factory shell. They will feed in your 1100. Make your reloads the same.

3. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Make sure the taper die is working. The shell should be smaller at the crimp than the brass end.

4. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

My MEC reloading manual shows the following dimensions (minimum - maximum) in inches to resize the brass:

12 gauge - .804 - .806

16 gauge - .739 - .743

20 gauge - .692 - .694

28 gauge - .622 - .628

410 gauge - .472 - .476

Bob

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

Assuming someone here told you that ".805" is wrong, you need to be "XXX"...what could you do to effect that?

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I just looked up the SAMMI spec because I cannot find my dial caliper. The base metal forward if the rim is supposed to between .800" and .809". The plastic part is supposed to be between .777" and .797". I would say your .805" is right there. Double check a shell that will feed in your Remington. Good Luck

With a Mec Grabber, or the seperate sizing press, you can fine tune them to a slightly smaller diameter

7. seymore/82

seymore/82 Active Member

Chugiakshooter, you have a P.M.

8. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

This problem started last Saturday with a 3 in the Air shoot,my I-12 Franchi was doing fine for the first 50 shots,and then started having feeding and ejecting problems,it seemed the bolt was closed but it would not cycle shells out of the gun.So I grabbed a friends 1100 and the bolt would close but you could not feed in any more shells because the bolt would not close all the way,trying to open the bolt was impossible without taking the barrel off of it.I was just wanting to make sure that my 9000 was sizing the shells right.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

What kind of hull? Some of the new AA hulls can actually buckle in the wad area and cause feeding issues. Crimps can also give trouble. On a Mec with a Collet, you can adjust the collet ring to size smaller or larger, IF the head of the hull is the problem. You need to take a very close look at the shells and see where they are hanging up.

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

As Quack wrote, I'd measure the hulls in the "waist" of the tube and see if some of them haven't developed a slight bulge there.

MK

11. johnpe

johnpe Member

If you don't already have one, I suggest you pick up the latest Lyman shotshell reloading manual. It has chamber drawings of all of the gauges. As long as your reload, just ahead of the rim is smaller than the minimum chamber diameter shown, you have the correct diameter. As already mentioned, if you have a MEC grabber type, they can be adjusted to resize the brass more or less you are now experiencing. If you have a ring sizer and the diameter is too large, I suggest you contact the tool manufacturer and get one that is of a proper diameter.

Johnpe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
12 gauge resize ring
28 gauge rim diameter
brass diameter guage
diameter of resized shotgun shells
resize 12 gauge shells

resizing 12 gauge shells

what size does a mec 9000 resize 12 ga shells
whats the diameter on a 410 shell resizing