Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shell reloading prices

3K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  poacherjoe 
#1 ·
What are people reloading boxes for? my calculation is about $4.30. whats the deal with redropped lead and how do I get it?

#3 ·
The big variable is the cost of shot. Shipping shot is cost prohibitive, so you need to find a locally delivered source. Ask around at the gun clubs. Reclaimed shot runs all the way from just out of the ground, to cleaned, sorted, and regraphited. I can get bags of good reclaim in Oregon for $24 a bag in quantity. New shot is $50 a bag at BiMart. Mark

#8 ·
witn my own homemade shot looks like $1.75 per box. Thats not counting electric to make the shot. By the way lead wheel weights getting harder and harder to find. last buch had about 50% of stuff not usable. Not all the shot is as round as you might like but still gets-it-done.
DBLELL

#9 ·
If my math is correct to load with today's price of shot, a box would run about $4.51 per box in this neck of the woods. However, I'm sitting on about a pallet of shot purchased in the early 90's, so for now shot is not a question for me right now. However, I am considering a change from Clays to Claydot and 1 oz. instead of 1 1/8.

#10 ·
If you look at the current price of component (including tax that you have to pay), the price would probably be in the 4.50 to 5.25 range. Some people will say they are reloading for a lot less than that but they are either figuring what they paid for components (sometimes years ago) or they are reloading using reclaimed shot. Sure if I am using shot, powder, and primers that I bought 15 years ago, it is awfully cheap.

Also if you try to reload buying a pound of powder, a few hundred primers and a sack of wads, the price will be horrible. The only way to buy is in larger quantities and also check a few different places on price. For example, in my area, 8 pounds of Red Dot sells anywhere between about $94 and $122 (not including tax) depending on who you are buying it from. Primers and wads vary a lot also.

#17 ·
With High School trap season soon to start, I went out and priced what my reloads are going to cost this year.

Unless my math is off, this is what it will cost.

#8 Eagle Shot (not reclaimed)- $33.00 per 25lbs.
Winchester AA wads- $22.80 per 1000
Winchester W209 primers- $27.50 per 1000
Hodgdon Clays powder- $115.00 per 8lbs.
Gun Club hulls- Free

Reload data- 18.4g- 1 1/8oz

Cost per flat reloads-$46.00

Seeing that I can get a flat of factory loads for $53.00 from the Team, even with two High School Shooters it really isn't that cost effective to reload, however for some reason both of my High School shooters seem to shoot better with my reloads than with factory loads. Also, I like reloading, it gives me something to do and I find it quite relaxing. I have enough to do in my life as it is that requires intense thinking. Reloading and lawn mowing are two things that don't require a lot of thinking, as long as you keep your head out of your ass.

#18 ·
I can load Remington STS hull, Cheddite primer, H110 powder, SP-410 wad and 1/2 ounce of shot for $4.38 per box. That is with $39 per bag new shot and the cost of the hull which can be loaded three times.

I can load 7/8 ounce of $39 shot in a Top Gun 12 gauge hull (zero cost) for the same price but not as much fun to shoot.

Jim Skeel<BR>
P/W Dealer/Distributor

#19 ·
Don't forget to add in the cost of the reloader, scale, travel to buy componetes, unless you are lucky enough to live close to a distributor, etc. Right now it doesn't make economic sense to start reloading, unless you find it theraputic and relaxing--I for one do not.

#22 ·
I have been reloading for years and all of the componants continue to rise in cost.If you are a serious shooter my advice is to buy 1 ton of shot and do the reload cost calc thing to figure out how much powder,primers,etc you will need to use up the ton of shot and then purchase the remaining componants.
You should have a pet load to base this on.Then you are set up for quite a while or you can sit around waiting for the prices to drop and watch them rise instead.Do your research on the web to find the best prices and remember that the closer the distributer is to you the less S&H you will pay,That said the price may be cheaper but the added S&H makes it a bust!PJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.