1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shell prices OUCH!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by krieghoffkrusher, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Just talked to a gun shop today, they said the next shipment of Winchester AA's that they are getting cost them $70 per flat wholesale!!!! We are getting priced out of our sport. Let's hope the lead prices turn around at some point.

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

There is another 15% increase scheduled for January 1st. Bill Malcolm

3. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

I am visiting Salt Lake City on business and went by the Sportsman's Warehouse Monday.

STS - AA - 6.99 box

Federal Papers - 8.99 box

Shot - 37 +/- bag

38-01615

Also got to visit the Great Salt Lake GC today - nice looking club!

4. grammie

grammie TS Member

Be aware gentlemen,,,,,,the current drop in interest rates (bailout) which were raised to stave off inflation,,,and has now been dropped to stave of recession has left the barn door wide-open to massive price increases!!!

Be prepared for 5 and 6 dollar gallons of milk,,and it looks to me like prices for all things are set for another run--------up!!!!

AKA Grammie..........

5. guncase

guncase TS Member

same ones who bitch the loudest about shell prices will drink 5 or 6 beers at $3 each and think nothing of it!!

Rich S,,, I don't know where you get your info but it is wrong!! I know and do business with three of four of the largest "Wholesalers" in this area, they would love to make $3.00 a flat!! And sell you all you want!!!Paul

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

guncase- I join with you in stating that the comment by Rich S. is not close to the truth. If it were true, I would quickly organize a direct order from the Winchester factory. With some cash, anyone one of us could become a distributor in about two hours.

Pat Ireland

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Most wholesalers that I have talked to make approx 10 percent over their cost. I normally mark up ammo 25 percent but knock off five dollars for case prices. No one really makes much off ammo but we are not a big retailer as we only sell about 350 cases a year. Win. high brass 3 3/4 dr shells are $10.5 a box and AA lights are costing me $59.00 a case now. Not looking good but you can still buy AA at Wally world for $5.80 a box. Buy them while you can. Jackie B.

8. duckeye

duckeye TS Member

I think that rich-s is so full of s... that he can hardly walk If that would be the case I would have been a distributor years ago I doubt if any wholesaler makes more than 10 or 12 percent on ammo. I guess that he thinks they make the same amount of profit on a gun also

Duckeye

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The best any wholesaler can do is raise the price of old stock AA's that were purchased for $53 but now cost $63. Of course, no-one bought them at the earlier price so that's why they're old stock. 3% is closer to the typical wholesale markup!!

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Grammie, I don't know where you got your degree in finance, but lower interest rates do not drive higher prices. Ammo prices are being directly driven by increased prices in lead and copper, nothing else. Both commodities have more than doubled in cost in the last two years. A cost analysis will show that reloading costs run about $.20/round. Ammo manufacturers have kept the cost of their less expensive ammunition to about $.16/round. Individual reloaders can't match the manufacturer, if for no other reason, than economics of scale.

The Federal Reserve System is always slow to react on market forces. The overriding fear of the Fed is inflation, even at the expense of economic growth. A lot of economists find this reasoning to be unfounded, especially since the driving factor in inflation is government spending, and not consumer activity. The Fed's actions usually lag the market by about five or six months. When the Fed lowered the discount rate in August, they were about five months late. The action Tuesday was also about five months late.

No dealer doubles his/her wholesale costs, especially when one has to consider that competition from others will prevent this.

Best,
    Dennis

11. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Time to reconsider reloading using 7/8 oz. of shot. Best Regards, Ed

12. kolar12

kolar12 Member

I purchased a new battery for my lawn tractor yesterday. The price was $30. The old one purchased three years ago cost $27. Now what were we saying about the price of lead! It seems that the battery should have cost at least $50. Is the batery not mostly lead??!!

13. guncase

guncase TS Member

Hey Gary,,, that battery might have been sittin' on a shelf for 3 yrs. then it would be "old stock"????? Paul

14. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Go top Dicks sporting good 5.99 minus 10% flats are cheaper ther w/coupon . A vote next year in the right direction will help solve many natural resources problems . We selling to Chinese cheaper than we are here . Our Tax dollars helping build infastructure everywhere but here . Time to vote YOUR wallet .

Pat Kelley

15. lumper

lumper TS Member

Pat ... I thought Dicks canceled the 10% off deal on quantity purchases.

16. bellemandi

bellemandi TS Member

We have a limited amount of Winchester AA for $60 per flat. Get them while you can. If you are interested you can email me at lgedo@aol.com. We are located in Colorado.

17. jester-the-molester

jester-the-molester TS Member

Gramie - you are an economic moron.

18. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

- economic.

19. grammie

grammie TS Member

Tis a pity that many don't understand "why" interest rates have dropped,,in the face of rising inflation,,,,and that is why these same type people are always left wondering----"what happened"!!!!

In this case,,,,the people wondering "what happened" are being bailed out of their bad investments and loans by a lower interest rate that will drop the value of the U.S. Dollar,,,hence,,,products become more expensive to the average american,,because their money is again being devalued!!!!

Be prepared!!!! Dropping interest rates in the face of rising inflation,,and the currrent global run on all natural resources,,means the reins that "were" on inflation has been removed,,,and the horse shall be allowed to run!!!!!!

Add to that the coming attack on Iran before this president leaves office,,,,the price per barrel of crude could top 100 dollars per barrel!!!! And that means,,,,that 20 dollar steak??? that 10 per box of shells???? its waiting in the wings!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AKA Grammie.........

20. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

krieghoffkrusher

I asume you shoot one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.