1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shell Prices at the Grand

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike Michalski, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I can't find shell prices or brands/types available on the ATA site. Are they published anywhere?

2. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Not published anywhere that I know of.

The ATA does not sell shells anymore. Gamaliel Shooting Supply is in charge of the shell house on the grounds. Last year they had all the premium brands and a good selection of the "single-use" (estate, rio, etc) shells. The Gamaliel price was higher than the Sparta WalMart for the premium shells, but Gamaliel entered you into a drawing for ammo if you bought a certain number of flats (I believe it was 3, but not for sure).

WalMart wasn't giving anything away except for the hassle of finding someone in sporting goods to check you out and look at your ID/FOID.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Mike, call the Sparta Walmart. They were the supplemental supplier last year with pretty decent prices lower than the onsite prices....My group (from Michigan) never had any hassle with walmart. Showed our Michigan license and ATA cards and we were good to go...for 1000's of rounds of ammo...

4. WindyCity

WindyCity TS Member

I just got off the phone with Wal-Mart in Sparta at 9:00AM, Wednesday. They said they would have a good supply of shells.

STS and AA will be $75.70 a flat. If you want to find out if they will have your shells, the number to Wal-Mart is 618-443-5800.

Good luck and I hope to see everyone soon.

Cory Kreith
    Windy City Shooting Sports, LLC

5. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Just a slight minor thought in respect to purchase at the shoot vs. Wally World ... taxes ... what about taxes? If you buy at the shoot and can possibly avoid sales taxes that is worth about another $3 or $4 a flat and then take into account the time you must spend driving to, finding a cart, going threw the store, checking out and ... well, how much is that worth to you?

What price would be to much at the Grand for a flat of STS or AA when all of that is taken into account? $80? $85? $90?

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Illinois will get their taxes either place.The Walmart is just down the road.....

I've been there last 2 years so I comment with experience...

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Instead of going all the way through the store just go to automotive entrance door on west side and the sporting goods is right there like all Wally's. Easy in and out.

8. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Thanks for all the input. The thing I was trying to figure out is the difference in cost between throw away shells like Estates and reloadable ones like STS. I was curious in the difference in order to know what the cost of empties would be per shell. Or put another way, is it worthwhile to buy STS and keep the empties or just shoot and discard estates? Or am I anal?

9. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I decided this year, My friend & I have saved most hulls for the last 3 yrs. I need to empty duffle bags or buy new ones for hulls. I have not used any of the hulls.

Joe Woods/Ontario

10. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Just to clarify what I stated about WalMart the deal is that you had to buy your shells at the sporting goods department, not just take them to the front and check out. Their price does not seem so special this year at $75.70 before tax, I believe that is the same price our local WalMart is selling AA's by the box.

I like to support Gamaliel as they are providing a service to the shooters by being on the grounds and staying open until 6 p.m. They deserve to make some profit, and if there is not a big difference in the price between them and WalMart I will save myself a trip to town for shells.

11. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I think supporting Gamaliel's is a good idea under any circumstances.They are shooters.!!!!!!!

Joe Woods/Ontario

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

RLC

I agree. I really do not like Wally World very much anyway. So unless there is a significant savings, I will not go there.

I was planning to buy at the shoot, but it will cost me twice the price of reloads if prices are close to $80 a flat.

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/files/pdfs/Grand%20Specials.pdf

Go the link above - I think the people at Gamaliel may have a winner with the AA's and $10 gas card.

Don

13. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Agree with buying at Gamaliel's. Support the vendors who support us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.