1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shell price increase tomorrow

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bkms, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkms

bkms Member

As with everyone else, i have been hearing of an impending shell increase. Yesterday i was at the local gun store and he has two letters posted. One from Remington, one from Winchester, both talk of 8% increases on products starting with those shipped June 1. Not every product was going up 8% but i did see shotgun shells listed. I also noticed at walmart the Remington value packs have gone up over a dollar in the last week so look for them to shoot up close to two more bucks. While i am bitching, i noticed at Bass Pro shops, the primers (1000) and lead (25lb) are up to $45 each. So buy up, cause soon, we wont be able to enjoy any of our clay shooting sports from the looks of it. Bob.......

2. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Bought a load of supplies and was told that, as of June 1, everything Remington was going up 10%...shells, wads, primers, shot. Also Rio primers going from $87 to $92/5000...Fiocchi primers to follow suit.

Mike

3. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

shot at sheels in coralville is only $29.99 a bag today. never thought that would sound cheap

4. duckeye

duckeye TS Member

I suppose that if they can't take the guns they will make it so we cannot afford to shoot them There are a lot of shooters here that say they are done with trap since shells are so high Also the price of metallic cartridges are out of sight Last year 243 ammo was 14.95 a box now they are 20.00

Duckeye

5. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Where do any of you guys buy Rio primers? I might be switching to them!

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

For rifle ammo, keep checking with MidwayUSA or get on their mailing list for their flyers and email advance updates. I bought Federal .300 Remington Ultra Mag Vital-Shok ammo with 165-grain Nosler solid base bullets in nickel cases from them for $22.40 a box of 20 about four months ago. That's exactly 50% off their already discounted price - around here, the stuff is well over fifty bucks a box. It seems that they have some types of rifle ammo on sale every month.

Ed

7. oletymer

oletymer Member

Forget Midway if you want to keep shooting. Go to Connies Componets or Recobs Target Shop for the best deals.

8. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

just bought today at Dicks Sporting Goods 2 flats S T S light 8's $47.71 a flat final cost with my $10.00 coupon on each flat , sell the mtys 4 cents $37.71 a flat . guess i better go get the rest of them saturday

9. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

If your into shooting rifles, reload. Me and a friend started reloading our own rifle bullets about 2 months ago, we found we could save almost $10 a box on a lot of ammo for the larger caliber rifles (7mm Ultra Mag & .300 Ultra Mag). Maybe I should quit shooting trap and take up bench rest shooting, right now it seems to be cheaper...

-Jollytrapshooter

10. front242

front242 Member

Please don't go to benchrest!

Jollybenchrestshooter just doesn't have the same ring to it.

:)

F242

11. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

jmbOU,

They will come down after war and China and India stop using lead for batteries. May be a while. $.02 (With prices going up, $.04)

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Every coupon I've seen from Dick's says not good for ammunition. At the Dick's nearest me they can read.

13. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Effective Friday a well known dist. in Illnois raised prices of Rem STS to 60.05 per case and Win AA to 61.00, and this is dealer cost at case price folks. This is exactly why my loader is for sale and my trapshooting has all but completely ended.

14. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

It's very unusual for me to do smart things when it comes to spending money, especially at a gun shop. But I did just that in late 2005 and early 2006 and, in fact, did it three times!

Smart thing #1 happened when I expressed surprise that hard shot was $14.75 a bag. My dealer told me that I hadn't seen anything yet, so I bought 60 bags. Three months later, it was $17.45 and he said it wouldn't stop rising until it hit $25 a bag. I thought he was nuts and told him so, but did smart thing #2 and bought another 40 bags. I drove home telling myself that I was the one who was nuts for paying that much for shot. I guess he was right!

Smart thing #3 happened a couple of months after that. I asked my dealer for six flats of STS shells and found that they were "clear up" to $48.50 a flat! I whistled under my breath, so he showed me his cost sheets from his suppliers which indicated how much more expensive his next order of shells would be. So I bought 18 flats. Dammit, he was right again!

I sure put a hole in my shooting funds during those trips to my dealer's and my wife questioned my logic by asking me when I was ever going to use all that stuff. The other day, I showed her some of the current threads on here about how people are happy when they find shot for under $30 a bag and she actually told me I did something smart at a gun shop! Now I have to show her the shell prices in this thread.

I could not afford to make those same purchases today. It's not just that I wouldn't want to spend that much money - I flat out wouldn't be able to! And some people don't think shooting has become too expensive...

Ed

15. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

shooting jack ,i get these coupons from the ky. state hunting and fishing guide, they have stacks of these books at the local Wal-Mart,they are free. i'm sure that every state has these but dont know if Dicks puts coupons in all off them. the coupon only excludes firearms ,trolling motors or fish finders and championship merchandise . $10.00 off a $50.00 purchase

16. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

17. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I like my shotmaker more every day. I think I will celebrate by making a 1000 lbs of shot next week.

Jim

18. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

dont think that prices will come down on any thing for one miniute this is not 1970 take up pistol shooting if you get REAL good you can shoot the clays with it john wayne could if some of the guys that are making shot would sell it to the ones that dont that would help if you get the lead for nothing then seems like a good idea will be watching and see how many is willing to do that rick

19. oletymer

oletymer Member

Get over it prices are going to increase. Every thing else is going up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.