1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHELL MAINTENANCE **

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ismah, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

How many of you brush out your shells before reloading them? I've recently started doing it and am curious if it is a common thing to do among reloaders.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Certainly not me.

Pat Ireland

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

What for??

4. ismah

ismah Member

CUBANCIGAR2000: I first tried it as an experiment. I got a bore brush, stuck it in my portable hand drill and reamed a shell. A small amount of dust came out. I try to make the best reloads possible and figured -dust ain't good in a shotgun shell-. And with that, am asking for general opinions.

5. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Sometimes I stack them in a cardboard box and use compressed air to blow out any foreign matter but brushing is going to far!PJ

6. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

My general opinion is that you don't get enough attention at home, so you come on this forum with ignorant questions in hope of starting an argument. With this argument centered around yourself, you then get the attention that you feel you deserve.

7. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

You got way too much time on your hands. I'd think your gunclub could use all the volunteer help you want to provide.

8. ismah

ismah Member

BLIZZARD: I've read some of your threads and I think you read too many comic books.

9. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Honestly, I've never read one. Haven't ever had that much time to waste. Know what I mean?

10. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

Sure I clear them out. Every time I fire them.

Shotgun shell reloading is simply not metallic cartridge reloading. You are shooting a moving target with a moving gun at around 40 yards with a shot string. The only way I've found to make a more accurate shell is to be super precise with the powder drops. I can get within +- 0.05 grains in pistols but shotguns using a MEC is more like +- 0.2 grains. I suppose I could scale each powder drop but that would roughly triple the reloading time. Besides that, choosing the proper components for the type of load you want to shoot (not trying to make Green Dot shoot a light 7/8oz. load for example) is second. A faster burning powder for a light shot load, a 1oz. wad for 1oz. of shot, using a tapered hull wad in a tapered hull, ECT. all helps too.

The recently redesigned Claybuster website linked above does a great job specifying what wad matches what shell style with a given shot load. I see many questions on this topic, constantly. The answer is decide what load do you want to shot then get the proper components to make that load, not try to force something you have on the shelf to work. I also have no doubt that 2 seconds after this goes up someone will swear up and down that he can stuff 10 pounds of dung into a 5 pound shell and crush targets.

The onus in trap is on the shooter; very little has to do with the shell. It's been proven time and time again that even shells with mismatched powder/wad/shot load combinations will consistently break targets.

Sorry I wandered into the woods a bit, but reloading shotgun shells is really very straight forward. The perfecting nature of the sport and shooter tends to over complicate things.

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

ismah

"I got a bore brush, stuck it in my portable hand drill and reamed a shell. A small amount of dust came out."

Just apply a little common sense "A small amount of dust came out" unless I am wrong when you pull the trigger there is a burn that starts inside the shell. That means fire that means that the small amount of dust will be burned away before the load leaves the barrel.

What blizzard is trying to tell you in very tactful(LOL)manner is you are wasting time on worthless operations that will give you little to no benefit.

It is your time in my opinion so you waste anyway you wish.

Bob Lawless

12. ismah

ismah Member

IVANHOE: You're probably right. Though I thought it was a ligitimate question, it apparently stepped on some toes. (Or maybe it's just BLIZZARDS time of the month.) I just went out to my shop and scraped some empties with an ice pick. Some powder residue fell out and some kind of dust. Probably nothing to worry about. You're probably right.

13. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I am surprised anyone on here even responded to you with all the prior pro-raghead comments you have submitted in the past?! Tom Rhoads

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I thought that was what "Dustbuster" wads were supposed to do..........clean out the dust.

Why else would they call them that if they didn't work?

Hauxfan!

15. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

ismah,

Do most of us a favor and find another website. I know I don't like you at all.

Jon Reitz
    US Army (Retired)

16. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

At first I thought that some people were unnecessarily ragging on ismah, who seemed to be asking a legitimate, though ho-hum, question. But from reading some of his other posts, I now understand. Jon Reitz is right.

Bill Marsh

17. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Jerry,

After 911 that is my hottest button! I cannot nor will I ever trust one of them again! Sorry, that is just me! Tom Rhoads

18. ismah

ismah Member

TOM RHOADS, BLIZZARD, JON KEITA, SARGE (?), BILL MARSH: Sounds like, in your egos, you think anybody cares what you think. You're wrong. Nobody does. You all spend a lot of wasted time on this forum propounding your political opinions. A couple of you try to impress us with your military backgrounds. Ha! You're not impressive to anybody. My question asking about Shell Maintenance was directed to sincere shooters, not a bunch of hacks.

19. sharktown

sharktown Member

Never and my reloads shoot fine, I can't see if it would make a difference to clean them. Too time comsuming for little benifit.

Guy

20. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

1) I'm impressed with anyone who has a military background; US that is.

2) Don't you really understand that some of us on here just do not like nor want you here you? So go find another site more in line with what your beliefs.

3) How 'bigga boy are you?

Jon Reitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.