1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shell Hopper Homemade

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by minnship8, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Here's a homemade shell hopper

I start out with a lateral filing cabinet (In my neck of the woods, these are available pretty reasonably on craigslist. Mine is a 3 drawer, although you can use any number of drawers you wish

minnship8_2011_25071.jpg

Here's a pic with a couple of drawers open.

minnship8_2011_25072.jpg

This shows how I created the hopper with 1/4" plywood. The filing cabinet has a natural front lip to it to keep the shells from spilling out.

minnship8_2011_25073.jpg

This pic shows the blocks holding the angled hopper front. I drilled through the side of the sliding drawer and screwed the blocks to the side of the cabinet and then screwed the plywood to the blocks.

minnship8_2011_25074.jpg

minnship8_2011_25075.jpg

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Nice work. You have that junk man vision that you see something in things people would toss. I like to think i'm the same way. I like it.

3. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Thanks...

I knew I needed a hopper, because I kept dumping the just shot hulls on top of 1 shot hulls and I wasn't able to spread out the number of times I was loading the hulls evenly. The hopper was the answer to that problem.

I also knew my wife wasn't going to appreciate me building a not so aesthetic series of plywood hoppers (one for federals, one for AA's, one for Rem) and hang them on the wall of the basement near my loading bench.

I had these lateral filing cabinets that I was only using to hold up a countertop, and thought them the perfect answer. I can pull them out to fill them up, just open the front door and scoop out as many hulls as I want, and flip the door closed and it's just a filing cabinet.

Took me about 15 minutes per drawer including the think time in my thinking office (the one with the fold down seat).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.