1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shell goes off in magazine tube

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 2 Labs, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2 Labs

2 Labs TS Member

On September 1 my wife and I were dove hunting at a State Wildlife Area where steel shot is required.I was using Winchester Xpert 20 gauge # 7 shot.The gun is a Benelli Montefeltro which I purchased new last December and was only fired once before.I had fired 12 shells during the day.On the last shot the gun jammed.When I looked inside the receiver I saw an unfired shell.Inside the magazine was was a spent shell and I had to use a screwdriver to pry the hull out.Upon looking at the shell I saw that it had gone off inside the magazine tube.The wad and shot were forced forward inside the magazine tube.The primer was blown out and stuck in the top of the unfired shell.The receiver had allot of unburned in it.I contacted Winchester and per there request I mailed them the 2 shells and the bar code from the box of shells.The gun was shipped to Benelli and returned.Benelli said that they couldn't find anything wrong but that the mazagine follower was damaged.There was damage to the magazine plug as well as a slight bulge in the magazine tube.Benelli is sending me a new magazine plug.I mailed the shells to Winchester on Sept.29 and haven't heard from them.I took 2 photo's but I'm not a computer guy.Nobody at several trap clubs had ever heard of anything like this happening.I showed the shells to Tim Bradley,Benelli exhibition shooter,and he said I was lucky to be alive.Any one ever hear of this before.Thanks George

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Sounds like Tim doesnt know much about pressure containment.

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

No but if you shoot enough and long enough anything can happen .

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I can't say that I've heard of that happening before, but I'm not too surprised that there was minimal damage. In order for pressure to build to dangerous levels, the shell must be in a tightly confined space. A shell is not like a hand grenade which provides it's own tightly confined space.

Also, smokeless powder is progressive burning. In order for all the powder to burn, the shell must remain in a RELATIVELY confined space during the time of the powder burning. Since the magazine tube is nowhere near as confined as the chamber of the gun, there was adequate room for the gas to expand and relieve the pressure before it could build up to dangerous levels.

Easystreet

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I would contact East Alton and ocnfirm receipt. 2nd, document your contact via emails to generate a paper trail to reference, and contact every few weeks to update. Expect a response in December.

regards and good luck,

Jay

6. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, don't tell Joe Kuhn! He's already convinced our guns are faulty, if our ammo is now faulty it's sure to be a bloodbath on the line.

7. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Didn't the old Remington 760 gamemasters have that problem too?

8. 2 Labs

2 Labs TS Member

I'm taking the Benelli hunting today,that's what I bought it for,and only plan on loading it with 2 shells.Some times the magazine follower binds in the tube and you can't get the shell in.Hoping the new plug will correct this but if not then I'll try a new magazine tube.But who is going to pay for this.I did nothing wrong and now I have a gun that doesn't work right and several box's of shells that I'm worried about shooting.Would you shoot these in you pump or auto?I'll contact Winchester today and see how their investigation is going.This is a quote from the last line of the letter I received from Winchester"After the examination is complete you will receive a formal letter and compensation for the ammunition returned". George.

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I can`t believe you will shoot this gun since it has shown that it could possibly be a fault in it and Benelli wouldn`t confirm . Taking a chance in the field when it may happen again with worse results is pure idiotic ?? You just can`t wait for more info on the cause ?? Use another gun !! Sounds to me that there was a part in there that hit the firing pin of the shell or the recoil of the shell before ?

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

...more problems with Winchester ammo to worry about. ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

benelli montefeltro magazine follower stuck

how to get the magazine tube off a benelli montefeltro