1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shell feed, mod's for Spolar & P/W

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by creeker, Dec 29, 2016.

1. creeker

creeker Active Member

I had requests for shell feed mod info from shooter's, so here is what I came up with.The pic's show a non breakable,flexible tube and wooden shell feed ram's made from compressed MDF,called a Victorian Plinth.These 2 items were purchased at Home Depot.The other clear plastic inserts shown were purchased on the web.Not shown is a 12ga tube which is currently being used on my loader.The drop in inserts go into the mod'd large tube and them you clamp,adjust and tweak it to your desired height.The 12ga feed ram shown has
    had over 2-33 gal pails loaded with it and the only failure was some dirt showing.The costs are minimal and are
    fairly easy to make. P1000620.JPG P1000621.JPG

bigbore613 and Trapshooter thanked this.
  2. mike-sid

mike-sid Active Member

Can you post pictures all in place? Or video of it running? Good work

3. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

I'd love to see videos.

4. busstuf

busstuf Member

Same with me.

5. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

watch this.

mike-sid thanked this.
  6. Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer Active Member

Hello: Looks like you have it all figured out now. I still need to hook up my PW feeder on my Spolar. Would love to get the feeder working for 410 and 28 gauge since that is what I am mostly shooting now. Thanks, Eric

7. creeker

creeker Active Member

Trapshooter,it looks like you have had a broken wing on one of the shell drop tubes a very common occurrence,with the P/W tube,they will break,being so brittle,if you use the tube shown in the Posting and mod it right you won't have that problem,anymore,I have been to that movie,a couple of times,but no more.If there was a video,the only thing you would see would be a duplication of what happens with the shell feeder,no more no less?I was glad also to get rid of that black carbon shell feed ram,as it always was getting the shell feed ram dirty as it worked back and forth,I haven't had to clean the shell feed assembly since using the one made from compressed MDF.The dirt on the 12ga ram in the pic is from lube that I had put on the chain feed
    bolt and some gets transmitted from the back and forth operation,to the wooden ram,the bottom of the ram stays clean.

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think you are going to cause a bunch of people to spend money ! LoL

9. creeker

creeker Active Member

Actually bigbore613,the costs to do these mod's can be quite minimal,if so desired?I started to do the ga conversions with 3/4" copper pipe's for the 12 ga and pvc for the other gauges and I got them to work after goofing with them, to fit?The clear plastic tubes were the most expensive part as I bought most of them over the web and for clear plastic and proper pvc strength, you get to pay for it?
    the .410 middle insert tube is from Dillon Reloading,.45 cal feed tube,I wouldn't have bought the clear tubes if I could see inside the other tubes?It's a trial and error fit to do these mod's and if you take it one step at a time you will eventually get to where you want to be and besides you are out to please you and no one else?

10. bigbore613

Sorry to have not stated I mean buying an autodrive and a shell feeder after watching the video, not the cost of your mods, they look great. LoL

11. creeker

creeker Active Member

FYI,the shell feeder is not offered anymore for the Spolar ,from P/W,so one would have to mod a lower feed assembly to fit the Spolar loader in sta1,you can buy a Dillon case feeder and adapt it to the Spolar,my case feeder is a Dillon with a P/W lower
    feed assembly[ now discontiued] and it is mod'd to take 12,20,28 and .410 shells.

bigbore613 thanked this.
  12. bigbore613

I can just see all the drooling, watching that video. Nice work on your mods.

13. John Henry

John Henry Active Member

So all you need now is an auto wad-feeder, and you can fill the hoppers, and go watch football while the press loads your shells for the next week!

Pretty cool!!

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Nice job....Looks like you've got it down pat.

15. creeker

creeker Active Member

Yes 410ga, everything works for all the ga's except 16ga,which I don't have or load anyway,but IMHO,after loading the 12ga with the mod's,I am very confident that the 12ga set up will load the 16ga without much to do?What actually led to doing these conversions was all the trouble that I had occur with P/W shell feeder and parts breaking ,jamming,bending of the shell feeder post and the mounting bracket coming just a tad bit loose,which would throw a sporatic adjustment trouble that will drive you
    nuts?After solving all these problems,I learned so much about the trouble shooting,that I decided to go ahead and see what else will happen and went ahead one by one, to get to the end of the trail?It was not,a turn key operation,by far?Also,when you use a
    powered device to operate the shell feeder,you will learn more about the shell feeder,than you would,doing the handle pull method,which is where you should start out, before you go powered by device?