1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shell feed, mod's for Spolar & P/W

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by creeker, Dec 29, 2016.

1. creeker

creeker Active Member

I had requests for shell feed mod info from shooter's, so here is what I came up with.The pic's show a non breakable,flexible tube and wooden shell feed ram's made from compressed MDF,called a Victorian Plinth.These 2 items were purchased at Home Depot.The other clear plastic inserts shown were purchased on the web.Not shown is a 12ga tube which is currently being used on my loader.The drop in inserts go into the mod'd large tube and them you clamp,adjust and tweak it to your desired height.The 12ga feed ram shown has
    had over 2-33 gal pails loaded with it and the only failure was some dirt showing.The costs are minimal and are
    fairly easy to make. P1000620.JPG P1000621.JPG

Trapshooter thanked this.
  2. creeker

creeker Active Member

If anyone is going to do this mod,it is very important that you center the drop tubes in the large main tube so that your shells will drop down on the shell feed ram,right above the edge of the slope of the ram and rest there.This will eliminate a double dropping of shells which I encountered on some .410 shells,especially.The shell feed ram should have about 1/16" of space on each side and should move free,in the shell feed assembly..The wood ram actually performs better than the factory P/W rams,in that you don't get a black streaking from the rams onto the shell feed assembly.I think the black rams are made from derin,but I don't know and really don't care.Also from using the wooden rams,it polished the assembly inside and does not get dirty from the rams.Also,the
    clear plastic large tube is flexible and won't shatter or break,under normal stress.

3. mike-sid

mike-sid Member

Can you post pictures all in place? Or video of it running? Good work

4. creeker

creeker Active Member

The mod's posted,show the way you can covert the existing P/W shell feeder and also the discontinued P/W shell feeder for a Spolar,you can see these in operation on u-tube with the P/W shell feeder,my posting show how you can change out the main parts of these shell feeders to load all the ga's but 16 ga,which
    would probably work,with the 12ga,IMHO,but I don't load 16ga,so I can't say,for sure?You would also have to hand make a shell feed plate for the ga's that you want,I had postings showing the shell feeder that I had mod'd [ I used a Dillon shell feeder for this ] back in June of 2016,but took down the Pic's as I changed up to a new laptop at that time.

5. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

I'd love to see videos.