1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shell ejector raking brass?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himejim, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himejim

himejim Member

I have a new Kolar .750 barrel that is giving me some problems with my reloads. I noticed that it closes hard on some shells and upon examining the reloaded shells I see theat the ejector has raked against the brass. On some shells it actually pulled the brass down to the base. Some shells would not eject properly.

I have a Spolar loader that I have loaded over 30,000 shells with all of them being shot in my Kolar .740 barrels without incident.

I haven't tried new shells in the barrel yet. Do you think that this is a barrel issue or a Spolar reloader resizing issue? (I plan to call Dicksie later today.)

Thanks....Jim

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

jim, mic your reloads at the base and compare those numbers to a new shell. I'd guess the extractors on the new barrel are a tad tight. Hap

3. himejim

himejim Member

I learned that I cannot tighten the sizing on my Spolar reloads. Therefore my two choices are to resize my hulls before reloading to a smaller size that fits better into my barrel. Or to have Kolar open up my chamber a little so that my reloads better fit into the barrel as it is now.

Any opinions? Thanks..............Jim

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Can spolar make you new resizing dies that are a little tighter (or possibly have a local machine shop do it if spolar doesn't want to)? Having kolar open the chamber would be absolutely the last choice for me.

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

If you contact Dicksie at Spolar they can make a set of dies that will resize the brass to the diameter you need. You will need all 8 and it won't be cheap. You should try some new shells in the .750 barrel first to see if you have a problem in the barrel and not in the size of the reloads. If it is in the barrel any competent gunsmith can open the chamber or bevel the chamber edges as needed. If it is brand new contact Kolar and they should fix it free of charge. Are the reloads all brass head (STS, Nitro or AA) or are they steel head (Gun Club, Top Gun etc.) The steel head don't size as well and will start to hang after a few loads. The PW and Spolar are made to work best with Brass heads and when you start sizing down the steel expect the loader to start becoming jerky when ejecting the loaded shells and sizing the empty.

--- Chip King ---

6. himejim

himejim Member

Thanks for the info. I am reloading only STS and AA hulls. The old barrel is .812 and the new barrel is .807. So the old barrel can take any reload I throw in it.

New STS shells measure .803 so they are no problem at all in the new barrel. At the club yesterdayI bought a few boxes of RIO's and they worked fine. My reloads measure from .806 - .809 so some shells present a problem (maybe 3 out of a box).

Can I resize already relaoded hulls? What brand of resizer would you recommend?

Thanks Jim

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure MEC still makes a base resizer that you use before you put the hull on your reloader press. It looks like the collet on the MEC grabber and the MEC grabber was adjustable. I cannot think of an accuracy reason that the chamber would be so much tighter than other guns. If your shells have worked in everything else, I would probably talk to Kolar and see if they have an answer. Good Luck

8. himejim

himejim Member

Thanks. I am going to Kolar on Monday. I was simply doing my homework here so I can make an informed decision when I meet with them. Can I resize already loaded hulls?

Thanks Jim

9. skeet_man

Jim- How many already loaded hulls are we talking about? A MEC super sizer is going to run you $80 odd bucks, and is the only sizer I would even think about trying to resize already loaded shells in. I would do the following since you say only a couple shells/box are giving you trouble (depending on how many shells you have to go through): take the ejectors out of the barrels and check each shell by hand to see if its going to fit or not, and give the ones that won't to someone who's gun has a little sloppier tolerance. It'll be time consuming, but free, and safer than trying to resize an already loaded shell.

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Spolar will not make you under size dies . Kolar will fix the problem .
    Your barrel should be close to .816

Maybe your Kolar is a 16ga.

11. himejim

himejim Member

Skeet Man

Great idea, thanks. I do have 40-50 boxes loaded but I could easily do this some crappy (weather) day and sell the oversized ones to a shooting buddy.

But I still have the problem of loading future shells? Although with a tighter gun wouldn't spent shells stay smaller with the smaller chamber?

Jim

12. skeet_man

SAAMI spec on minimum chamber is .8111, so it sounds like you may in fact have a slightly undersized chamber. Spec on brass is .809-.009 (meaning somewhere b/w .809 and .800), so you are well within that range.

If you do resize your brass, you should only have to do it once, you SHOULD be fine after that.

But do call kolar monday as you were planning to, they should be able to provide you more guidance.

13. chipking

chipking TS Member

Jim If you have access to a Lyman #4 or #5 manual they have SAAMI spec drawings in there. Your reloads are within spec.

--- Chip King ---

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Sounds as everything is in "specks" cept the Kolar chamber on the new barrel. When you talk to Kolar, I'd ask why? Hap

15. himejim

himejim Member

I went to Kolar and yes my barrel was undersized. They simply opened up and all of my reloads seem to fit nicely into the new spec. Kolar is the most customer friendly organization I have ever worked with....

Thanks again for all of your insights, Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kolar shotgun shell ejection