1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shell Deflectors

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mshep, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mshep

mshep TS Member

I'd like to occassionally shoot doubles with my 391. Can the Carey shell deflector be used with a T&S Shell catcher? How easily can it be removed? I shoot singles 99.9999% of the time but it'd be nice to give the doubles a try without tossing my shells on someones K gun. Any other solutions without using a gunsmith?

Thanks
    M

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I like the birchwood casey shell catcher, it sticks on and can be moved in or out of shell catching mode. I personaly do not like the TSs they will move over time and will scratch your reciever. Used in combination with the shell deflector you may get shells kicked back into reciever with either of the catchers. Why noy just get the complete Carey set up with deflector/catcher/closer?

3. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

Been there, done that with a Carey Defelctor. Yes, they can be used with a T&S shell catcher. They are applied to the side of the gun around your ejection port with two sided adhesive tape and it just sticks there looking ugly and catching on things. Plus I had one come off in cold weather. Bite the bullet and get in touch with Tron and have him weld his deflector in your barrel. I really think you will be a lot happier in the long run. JMHO.

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The Carey shell deflector doesn't work worth a cr*p. It misses half the shells and kicks the other half back into the chamber. I would have Tron weld a deflector onto your barrel if he'll do it. I'd like to send mine to him one day

5. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Get in touch with Tron and have him put one on your barrel. Here is me 390 he had done and my 391 is just the same but I do not have any pics of that one.

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Guns/?action=view&current=Beretta010Small.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Guns/?action=view&current=Beretta005Small.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jerbear

6. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Tron's deflector makes the shell drop at my feet.

Jerbear

7. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I just talked to Tron ans I sent an email, when his isp comes back online he will answer your questions.

Jerbear

8. mshep

mshep TS Member

Thanks for the help!

If I go with changing the springs, where's a good place to get them and what should I look for? I'm thinking of trying the "non-permanent" solution before having something welded to the barrel.

M

9. PILLMAN

PILLMAN TS Member

i took my 391 to a gunsmith , they worked on the ejector hooks , still ejected the empty case but only went 1/8 of the distance , very modest fee also

10. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

does anyone know anything about the MMSC shell catcher? It is supposed to let one go and then catch the next or catch them all.

http://www.tommortonandcompany.com/detonallmorm.html

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I don't think MMSC's are available for Beretta autos. Anyway, yeah I do a lot of deflectors, but it's important to note that not all brands of hulls defect the same. Winchester and Remington deflect similar, but way different than Federals. Once I make the weld, I shape it with a dremel tool and then test fire it with the type of shells that the owner will be using. Works great, but like I said, not all hull brands perform the same. If the owner decides to go to an entirely different brand of shell, further adjustment may be needed.

Carey closures and deflectors are junk.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

picture of welded hull deflector